Chapter 11

There was such a long silence that even I felt awkward. So I cleared my throat.

"L... let's go Rahina."

Taha turned to his heels.

"O....kay..." I said confused and stood up reluctantly. Something wasn't right. Those two wouldn't even look at us now. He just kept on walking ahead as I tried to catch up to him.

"Hey Taha....was that Aunty your.... mother?" I asked carefully.

He kept mum and was just walking ahead.

"Taha...."

"JUST SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND GET IN THE FUCKING CAR!" He yelled at me making me flinch.

I got in the car quietly but still ... something didn't feel right. The curious uneasiness.... wanting to do something... won't go away.

"I have to go..." I said and darted back in leaving him yelling my name behind me.

I halted in front of Aunty and Sarah trying to catch my breath.
"Is it true?"

The both snapped thier heads at me surprised.

"Are you Taha's Mother?"

Taha came running behind me and grabbed my elbow.
"Let's go!"

but I shoved his hand.
"No!"

"Sarah....you tell me!"

I noticed the helplessness in the girl's eyes.

"No... he's not my son!" Aunty snapped but I noticed how her voice broke and eyes teared up that she looked away to hide. I turned to Taha to find him equally heartbroken.

"You're lying!" I snapped.

Damn! Why am I interfering in someone else's family business?!

"Who are YOU to question us?" Sarah snapped

"Huh?" I was dumbfounded.

She's right? Who am I to question them? But I need to think of an answer ASAP. What do I say...who am I?

"I'm..."

"Just leave both of you!" Aunty said

"Let's go Rahina!" Taha said sternly but the pain in his eyes won't let me leave at that moment.

"I'm Taha's Wife!" I blurted out.

"My what?!"

Everyone looked at me shocked and even I was shocked with myself.

"Aunty...you can hate your son...but, would you hate me too?"

"Yes. I hate you both. Now get out...go away and leave us alone!" She sobbed

"A...ammi... please... please don't cry. We'll leave... we'll never show our faces....just please don't cry..."
Taha implored to her soo emotionally that....it hurted.

So again I blurted out something... weird.

"Then Aunty....will you hate your .... Grandchild too?"

"G...Grand... Grandchild?!" Taha looked at me horrified.

"I wanted to surprise you Ji. (Honorific for husband or any elder) Surprise!!!" I fake laughed but was about to cry any moment now.

"Grandchild?"

I turned to aunty.

Yes! I finally have her attention.