Chapter 14

"Anyways, what do you want to do?"

You honestly had no idea. It was about 6, so you had a while before you would even get tired. You heard your stomach growl and figured it would be a good idea to eat. You felt bad asking him for food, but you weren't really sure what else to do.

"Would it be cool if I ate something? I'm starving!"

"Of course! I am really hungry too."

He leads you to the kitchen and begins searching through his fridge and pantry.

"Anything in particular you want?"

"Just anything home cooked! I haven't eaten anything but takeout for the last week."

"Haha okay. We could make mini pizzas? Those would be quick and easy!"

"That sounds really good!"

"Okay cool! What do you usually like on your's?"

"I usually just like cheese!"

"That will be easy! I think that is all we have if I am being honest."

"Perfect then! What can I do to help?"

"I'll get everything out and you can just go ahead and put your toppings on! Oh also could you preheat the oven to 230 degrees? (450 for Americans)"

"Sure!"

You go over to what you think is the oven, which appeared much differently than any you had seen in America. It was the same one you had next door, but you hadn't gotten the chance to use that one yet. You investigate all the different buttons on it, but you can't find the one that you assume you need. You stand there for a minute more before giving up.

"Tommy?"

"Yeah?"

"I can't figure out how this oven works."

He turns around and when he sees you, he breaks down in a fit of laughter. You stand there confused, but wait for him to calm down. Once he starts to catch his breath, he stands back up and walks up to you. He leans down and seems to be barely holding in his laughter. He gets close to your ear and whispers.

"That's because that isn't the oven."

His whisper sends shivers down your neck, but you pull yourself together to respond.

"What?"

He starts laughing again. Holding onto the counter for support.

"The oven is over here, stupid!"

He walks over to what looks like a big white box. It looked nothing like anything you had seen before, though. You stand there with your arms crossed looking up at him.

"It isn't my fault British microwaves look like ovens!"

"Uhg, Americans."

He dramatically rolls his eyes and smirks at you.

"If you can figure out how to turn this on, I'll give you the surprise I got for you."

"Surprise? What'd you get me?"

"I guess you'll have to find out..."

"You are such a dick sometimes, you know that? You are practically setting me up for failure! The gift is probably something stupid anyways!"

He turns around to get back to work on his mini pizza. You determinedly look back towards the over, searching for a guide. You see a knob that seems to control the temperature, a broil button, and an off button. You also see a red switch that you hope turns the oven on. You flick it, and all that happens is a light inside the oven turns on. Frustrated, you turn the light off. Next, you try to swivel the knob to see if anything happens, but nothing does. You also press both the broil and off buttons, but to no avail. This oven hadn't turned on, or even showed any signs of working.