《 Chapter 16》

I could feel people staring at me. I felt so embarrassed, I wanted to cry. The family who was sitting at the same table with me cast surreptitious glances at me. I kept my eyes on my fingers which were on my laps. I couldn't afford to look at anyone.  I could hear the MC teasing the groom but I didn't look. I just couldn't look.

I felt a hand on my shoulder some minutes later and I jerked up.

"Hey!" It was Iyanu.  I heaved a sigh of relief.

"Hey!" I replied.

"What's up? What did she say to you?" Iyanu bent low, staring at me intently with remorse on her face.

"She's taking me home. She said she can't  let me move around looking like a whore."

Iyanu released a breath.  "I actually thought she would have a change of mind. I never knew her archaic thought can't be changed."

"It's not about her being archaic Iyanu. It's  that. . ." I  exhaled.  "Well, you know I told you I don't know my father," I whispered to her and she nodded. 

"Well, my mother gave birth to me at seventeen after she finished her secondary school. My supposed father denied the pregnancy and travelled out of the country leaving I and my mother to our fate. My Grandma has been the one taking care of me my mother had to complete her schooling and get married.

"My Grandma doesn't want me to end up like my mother so she's trying to protect me from anything that would influence me negatively.  My stepfather refused to let me live with them.  He said he didn't want a bastard in his home so I'm stuck with my grandma."  I rushed the words.

There was a time when this story made me cry so hard, my eyes burned. But now, I could say it like it was a joke or a story I heard; like it wasn't something about me at all. My eyes were so dried while  Iyanu's were wet.

"I'm  sorry to hear this, Beatrice."

"There's nothing to be sorry about." I chuckled.

"I'm so sorry, Beatrice.  I've put you in so much trouble. I should have listened to you when you said your grandmother won't like it. I don't know what my problem is. I'm just so - "

"Shhhh! Stop blaming yourself. Seriously, I'm very glad I hearkened to your voice. I wouldn't have known how good I look in outfits like this. I really like this gown and my new look.  Thanks to you I know I can look better."

That made Iyanu smile. But the smile didn't last.  "But you're going home and it's all my fault.
"
I sighed deeply. I really didn't want to go back home. I couldn't imagine myself locked in my darkened room, bored and alone while my mates were outside having fun. I still wanted to enjoy the silky feel of my black gown since this would be the first and the last time I'll wear such clothing.

"I'm not going home," I said at last.

"What?"

"I can't go home. I don't want to go home."

"But__"

"I know. I'm already in trouble whether I go home or not. I could as much serve all my punishments together." I stood up as I turned my gaze around in search of grandma. Thankfully,  she was nowhere in sight.

"Where are you going?"

"I'd  just find a seat somewhere amid the crowd where I know she won't find me."

"I'm coming along with you," Iyanu replied.

"No! I've put you in so much trouble already. I really didn't like the way grandma spoke to your mother and you. I don't want you getting into more trouble for my sake." I told her and her countenance fell.

"Cheer up, Iyanu. There's no fun coming with me. I'd  basically be hiding." I smiled at her.

"Alright." Iyanu sighed.

"If anyone asks, you don't know where I am." I turned to go. The family I was sitting with stared at me with suspicion but I couldn't care less. It was none of their business; I didn't even know them.

"Of course.  My lips are zipped." Iyanu made a zipping sound and I laughed.

I smiled to myself. This was the first time I was rebelling against my grandma intentionally. I knew I would not be able to sleep that night but despite this knowledge,  I felt like a heroine. I felt bold and tenacious as I defiled my grandma's law.

I found an empty seat among some young people.  I sat quietly as I sought to enjoy the engagement party. The bride and groom were dancing lovingly together and people were cheering them up. I smiled at the sight. I wanted this too one day. . .if grandma let me.

From the corner of my eyes,  I noticed one of the guys sitting three tables at my right staring at me and smiling. I couldn't understand why he was smiling at me. Did he have a smiling disorder?  I couldn't tell you.

I focused my gaze at the couple instead but then, I noticed the guy standing up and walking towards me. Fear gripped me as I stood up immediately. I turned away from him and walked farther into the crowd.  This was the first time I was alone without grandma's sharp gaze hovering over my head. Honestly, I was beginning to regret my action of disobeying my grandma.

I was getting very scared at the various glances men were throwing at me. One was even licking his lips slowly.  I wondered if I was a dish. 

Unfortunately for me, there was no vacant seat again; the guests were great and I couldn't return to where that loco sat.  Frustrated and tired of walking with my wedge, I stood by the side of a tree keeping watch for my grandma.

Two guys were standing next to me; one had his back turned to me. Despite the fact I didn't pay them much attention,  I could hear their conversation from where I stood.

"They need plates. Go get them!"

"I just brought some crates of plates not quite long. How can they require plates again?"

I turned quickly to look at them. The voice of the guy whose back was turned to me sounded so familiar.

"Didn't you hear me? I said they need more. I'm not ready for your argument, Peter. Just get them! And get them quick!"

I knew it. Peter! A surge of relief washed over me, starting from my feet up to my head; filling me to the brim. I felt like falling. There was no need to be strong all by myself any more, Peter was here! I didn't know why he was here or why he was asked to get more plates, all I knew was that he was right here where I needed him — right here with me.

The older guy who had ordered Peter to get more plates walked away leaving Peter scratching his head and grousing.  I walked slowly to him, calling his name as I came closer.

"Peter." I breathed