ONE

* * *

Like mother, like daughter . . .

She has grown to look like her mother. She has turned out to become a brilliant witch, just like her. And because of that, people expected her to do the same things like her mother did.

And that is to turn to the dark side.

Her interest in the dark arts stemmed from wanting to protect those she loves and care for the most. To shield them from the evil lure of dark magic. That means to be able to defend her family, the rest of the magical world and its future, effectively. Her goal is to become the best duelist of her generation to defend her people against any and all forms of evil.

Both of her parents were aurors, it is in the nature of their job to encounter dark wizards and witches with ill intentions. But when tragedy struck, it struck hard.

Now she only has her father. He is the last of her family. He is still one highly respected auror, if not feared. If Barty Crouch Sr. sent his own son to Azkaban, Camila's father had to stop her mother from unleashing sinister plans to the world. Magical and muggle both.

And his efforts led to her eventual death.

Camila was just a baby at the time. A month short of her first birthday. It was the most painful thing Alejandro had to endure. To watch and see the love of his life fall deep into the call of dark magic, and be the one person to end her, albeit not intentionally.

Sinuhe Estrabao was a brilliant witch with incredible talent and high intelligence. But as the saying goes, even the best fall down sometimes.

However, Sinuhe may have perished in the hands of her husband, but her brilliance carries on. Her talents, her extensive knowledge and intelligence, she passed it all down to her daughter. And this daughter of hers is showing every bit of her potential as she furthers her studies in Hogwarts.

Karla Camila Cabello was sorted into the house of Slytherin on her first year. Just like her mother had been. And that made all the assumptions about her grow stronger; afterall her mother ruled Slytherin house like she owns it, and was the best student during her time in Hogwarts School.

Five years into her studies, the teachers have now become increasingly wary of Camila's growing potential. Fearing the possibility that she may end up like her mother. A powerful dark witch.

She doesn't have friends.

Students avoid her like she is the walking, talking, breathing form of a deadly plague. Pretty much the same goes for the teachers who limit their interactions with her. And if they can help it, they all just simply stay out of her way.

She is always by herself. She had grown accustomed to it, had no issues whatsoever being all alone most of the time. Especially when her father had other important responsibilities too. Especially now that he has become a bit of a recluse after the demise of his wife under the spell cast through his own wand.

Camila really didn't mind any of it at first. But as time went on, it just felt so lonely.

She felt so lonely it's depressing.

Well, until one transfer student came along . . .

Professor Hansen introduced Lauren Morgado on the first day of the first term of her fifth year during charms class. Camila had no clue they had a new fifth year student since she purposely missed the sorting ceremony the night before, locking herself in her room to read some muggle book.

As it turns out, Lauren was the only fifth year among the bunch of eleven year-old first years. That's why a lot of people remembered her, buzzing about the new student with pretty eyes. Camila might've heard about the hype but she dismissed it, thinking it is not that relevant to her.

Looking at the girl during that class, indeed she had pretty eyes. Bright Slytherin green eyes. Too bad the girl's a Ravenclaw.

"Hi!"

Then, the girl smiled brightly at her. A little bit too enthusiastic that it almost felt off-putting.

"My name is Lauren,"

There was an outstretched hand in front of Camila and for a moment she doesn't know what to do with it. She stared, frozen and baffled that for the first time in the five years she spent in Hogwarts, there is another student who acknowledges her existence.

But perhaps it is only because the girl doesn't know her yet.

"Hi," Regaining her composure, she managed to reply without stuttering, gently taking the warm outstretched hand in front of her, "I am Camila,"

"Very good to meet you, Camila! I hope you don't mind me sitting here next to you even though there are other vacant seats in the room. I just have a preference to sit close to the window so I can see the view outside,"

Actually, it was Camila who was sitting right next to the window with the spectacular view of the outside. For a split second she felt like giving up her seat to the girl, it was as if she can't refuse that smile and those sparkling green eyes, and the girl wasn't even asking for it.

She returns the girl's smile instead, politely. Although it looks more like she just swallowed a glassful of pure citrus down her throat.

"I know it seems weird," the girl continued, "But I find it easy to understand the lessons when I have a nice view of the nature outside, I find it very stimulating,"

Oddly, she feels just like that. That's why she always made it a point to claim the seat closest to the windows before anyone can.

And little did Camila know, that day in charms class with Professor Hansen and this new transfer student from who knows where was the beginning of the end of her loneliness . . .

* * *

🙂