Chapter 2

"I wonder how many papes Davey's gonna sell." Elmer pondered out loud as we walked to our spots. Mine was just further down the street from his.

"Well, Jack spotted him fifty, so he'd better sell all of it." I shrugged. "If he doesn't, Weasel will just make him eat it after, then Jack's lost two bits."

"Let's give him the benefit of the doubt." Elmer suggested, flicking my cap and going to his spot. I sighed and went to my own.

"Rabid dogs storm Central Park!" I called, waving the pape over my head. I got a few buyers from that made-up story. In the afternoon, when I was only halfway done, a girl around my age walked up to me.

"Do you know him?" She asked, pointing at my twin. She had neat brown hair tied back in a blackberry ribbon and a dark purple dress. Her family seems to be much better off than mine.

"I do." I nodded, stifling a grin. How long will it take her to realize that he's my brother?

"I'm sorry to bother you, but is he seeing anyone?" She pressed.

"Not that I know of." I nodded, sliding a few papes back into my selling bag. "You're not bothering me at all, it's not very busy."

"Okay, well, would you much mind if you spoke to him for me?" She asked hopefully.

"Not at all." I grinned. "What did you say your name was?"

"Oh I'm sorry, my name is Bailey Robinson." She told me hastily.

"Emilia. Or Millie." I told her, starting towards my brother.

"So we're going to go talk to him now?" Bailey checked, walking alongside me.

"If that alright." I said, nodding. As we approached, Elmer looked up in confusion.

"Hey, Elmer, this is Bailey." I beamed, gesturing to the newcomer.

"Hi." Bailey smiled nervously.

"Hey uh, Millie, could I talk to you for a minute?" Elmer asked me. I nodded, and we stepped out of earshot. "What are you doin'?"

"She asked if I could talk to you." I shrugged.

"She knows that we're Newsies, right?" Elmer hissed to me.

"If think she has an idea." I rolled my eyes. "Just give her a chance! If it doesn't work out, I'll tell her."

"Fine." Elmer sighed, and we walked back to her. Her blue eyes widened.

"Are you siblings?" She asked, eyes flicking in between us.

"Yeah. Twins actually." I told her.

"Well, uh, I'm Bailey." She held her hand out for my brother to shake. He reluctantly did. I elbowed him in the shoulder.

"Loosen up." I hissed. He shoved me in return.

"I'll leave you to it!" I declared, strutting off to my spot. When I looked back, both Elmer and Bailey were gaping at me. I ignored it and continued to sell.

Once we were both done selling, it was about 5:00 in the afternoon. So, now we're on our way back to the Lodging House.

"We's meeting tomorrow evening." Elmer finally told me.

"That's great!" I exclaimed.

"But you have to come too, but with a boy of my choosing." He grinned, triumphantly.

"Anyone but the Delancey's or Weasel." I muttered. Elmer made a gagging motion.

"I's thinkin' Crutchie." He told me.