chapter seventeen - thirty going on twenty-one.

IT WAS hard to believe that Ophelia was finally thirty years old

      IT WAS hard to believe that Ophelia was finally thirty years old. Despite that fact, today seemed like a normal day her. She almost forgot it was her birthday, truthfully. That was, until her coworkers so kindly reminded her.
     "There's the birthday girl," Derek announced as Ophelia walked through the glass doors. She stopped in her tracks and stared at the man.
      "How did you know it was my birthday?" Her face screwed up in confusion. She had worked with this team for a few years now, but she had never once mentioned her birthday.
      "Hotch told us," He admitted, gesturing towards his office, coffee cup in hand. Ophelia stifled a blush. Of course he told them. It was in her file, so he obviously had access to that kind of information. She shrugged, hoping they wouldn't bring it up again, and set her bag down next to her desk.
     "So how old are you today?" Emily asked, sipping her mug. Before Ophelia could answer, not like she wanted to, Spencer chimed in.
      "Thirty," He raised his eyebrows in surprise, impressed at her milestone. "Good to know I'm not the youngest anymore," He teased.
      "You're still the baby to me, Spence," She ruffled his hair as she passed his desk as she approached Aaron's office like clockwork.
      "Hopefully Hotch hurries the hell up and puts a ring on it," She wasn't meant to hear this, but it didn't effect her any differently. In a sense, Derek was right. She wasn't getting any younger, waiting around for him. She heard Emily defend her, but couldn't quite make it out. Something along the lines of "Why would you even say that?". She couldn't be mad, she wanted the same thing. It was just hurtful to have to face it as a reality. Regardless, she put on a smile when Aaron answered his door.
      "Happy birthday, Ophelia," He smiled down at her. Ophelia. That's how he always reeled her back in. Saying her damn name in that way. Like he had said it for their entire lives, like they were an old married couple. He stepped aside, allowing her into his office and shutting the door behind her.
      "Thanks," She sighed, trying to remain happy for him. She leaned on the edge of his desk as he rummaged in his bag.
      "I got you something," He finally reemerged with a small, rectangular satin box. Her shoulders fell; she didn't even know she was holding them up.
      "You didn't have to do that," She took the box in her hands and opened it. A dainty, golden bracelet with diamonds all along the side was neatly displayed inside. Once he saw her eyes light up, he knew he made the right choice.
      "Yes, I think I did," He couldn't be filled with more pride. She carefully lifted the jewelry out of its box and placed it next to her on his desk, still holding the thin strand of diamonds in her hands. He gently grabbed the clasp and opened it, and she happily folded her wrist inside. He loved seeing her decorated with jewelry, especially since it was a gift from him. Not in a possessive, tacky way, but a reminder that she was his.
      "Oh, Aaron," She gawked at the sparkling tennis bracelet. Aaron. "Thank you," She pulled herself away from her gift to meet his gaze. He took the opportunity to gently cup her cheeks with his hands and place a kiss on her lips.
"How much was this?" She suddenly realized, he must've spent a month of her rent on this thing.
"You don't wanna know," He chuckled, pulling her in and resting his chin on the top of her head. Her cheeks burned, almost with ambarrassment or unworthiness. She would cherish this like it was her child.

Once Aaron finally admitted he needed to get back to work, Ophelia trailed back to her desk, an undeniable grin on her face. This was normal, it was expected of her. Spencer, however, immediately noticed something new.
"Jiminy Christmas, he must've spent a fortune on that thing!" He grabbed Ophelia's wrist, pen still in her hand. "Fourteen karrat gold and..." He took a moment to count. "Thirty diamonds!" She hadn't even noticed the number of diamonds. "It's custom!" He continued to ramble. Emily began to listen as soon as she heard "Fourteen karat gold," but Derek was paying attention as soon as genius boy grabbed her wrist. She swiftly pulled her wrist away from him.
"Thanks, Spence," She droned, awaiting the flood of teasing she would receive from her coworkers.
"Lover boy got you a bracelet? Don't be shy, let us see," Derek stood up and leaned over his desk. Emily did the same. She reluctantly held out her wrist again. Emily gasped, supporting her wrist with her soft hand.
"It's beautiful," Emily turned her hand back and forth to see it sparkle, mesmerized.
"He's gotta tell me where he finds this stuff," Ophelia was pleasantly surprised. She assumed they finally got the hint that today was the only day she didn't want to be teased, or Spencer told them to lay off. Ophelia looked over at Spencer apologetically. He returned a smile, telling her it was okay.
"We were thinking, maybe we take you out drinking tonight?" Derek proposed as he returned to his seat. "Y'know, on us. Unless you and boss man have other plans-"
"No, we don't have plans. That sounds lovely," She smiled at her team. "Thank you," She directed this at Spencer, but it was meant for everyone. Everyone went back to work after they adjusted the time, but Ophelia got Spencer's attention.
"Spence," She tapped his shoulder, her voice at a whispering level. He leaned over in his seat to hear her.
"Dinner and pregame at mine?" She offered, a sly smirk on her lips. He smiled widely back at her.
"I'd be more than happy to attend," He chuckled quietly to his best friend. Her smirk turned into a toothy grin as they stared at eachother for a moment, just happy the other existed.