Chapter 10

"Are you sure about this?" Yong asked for the millionth time as my bag was set in the carriage. I nodded as Yong held my hand in his. He finally agreed to let me go after Tase and I reasoned with him for weeks. I also tried to continue cultivating in the meantime.

"I will come back eventually," I promised. Yong finally agreed to let me go to the Heavenly Cloud Cultivating School. It was for nobles and talents across the three realms. With a recommendation letter from Yong and Tase's green jade pendant, I wouldn't be treated as a fairy maid, but a cultivating immortal of royal status instead.

"Don't worry. I'm personally escorting our little flower to the entrance exam," Tase tried to assure Yong as he placed a hand on his shoulder, making Yong drop my hand.

"She's not yours," Yong said in irritation. Tase chuckled lightheartedly before turning to me.

"I'll prepare some snacks for the ride," he offered before walking away. Yong picked up my hand again as we stood at the entrance of his palace.

"Do you have to leave?" Yong asked again. I smiled gently at him.

"You said yourself though, this was the only way to rid myself of a slave status and help cultivate my powers at the same time. In a thousand years' time, I'll be able to protect myself and be on track to become an immortal. Then I won't worry about dragging you down," I explained for the millionth time.

"You could never drag me down. I can protect you," he argued. I took my hand out of his gently and placed his hand at his side.

"I won't let you sacrifice yourself. Even just having me around is dangerous to you," I said softly. Yong reached into a belt pouch before pulling out a hairpin.

"I got this for you just in case. At least wear it," he offered it to me. Looking at it, it was a solid gold hairpin with an intricate design and sapphires embedded. If this would make Yong feel more at ease, I would accept it.

"Will you put it on for me?" I asked. He smiled gently before sticking it into the bun of my hair. After the hairpin was in place, I faced Yong before I curtsied.

"Crown Prince, I'll be going now," I offered my respects. He held my arms gently, making me stand before touching my cheek gently.

"I'll wait for you," he promised. I nodded once before turning to the carriage. Tase was already mounted on the horse leading the way while Ixia was seated in front of the carriage with the reigns on her hands. Yong insisted on gifting her to me. I happily accepted since Ixia had quickly become a good friend, but Yong ordered her to keep my identity a secret. From here on out, I would be Princess Aivi, Tase's goddaughter. Yong and Tase worked together to forge my identity as the daughter of the Northern General's daughter. According to them, the Northern army perished in a battle with demons, wiping out the entire clan around the same time I arrived in Yong's Serenity Palace. With no one to either confirm or deny my identity , it was the perfect cover.

I boarded the carriage before sitting inside. I couldn't help but to lift the curtain to glance at Yong one last time. In truth, I didn't want to leave him, but I knew I had to make myself stronger if I were to safely stay by Yong's side. The carriage pulled away. I let go of the curtain with a breath when Yong was no longer in my sight. According to Tase, the Heavenly Cloud Academy was on sacred ground, and being that I wasn't of Immortal status just yet, we had to travel by horse in order to get there.

"Princess, feel free to relax. It'll be a few hours until we reach Heavenly Cloud Gates," Ixia informed me. Being suddenly called 'Princess' would take some getting used to. Being Tase's goddaughter meant I was to be called by that of a Royal status from here on out. Tase promised to find a suitable explanation for the Heavenly Emperor after I was safely enrolled at Heavenly Cloud. I relaxed in my soft pink dress and robe as I waited. Yong said he loved the way the pink colors looked on me. It wasn't a coincidence that the color matched my energy color. All the clothes he packed for me were either pink or white. I decided to take Ixia's advice and used the time to cultivate.

"Princess. Princess Aivi," Ixia was suddenly calling me. I opened my eyes with a breath.

"Yes?" I called back.

"We've arrived, Princess," Ixia answered. It didn't feel like much time had passed, but apparently I cultivated the entire trip. I felt energized as I pulled away the curtain door. Ixia helped me down before I stretched from the long ride. Tase dismounted his horse and came to my side.

"Today is the entrance exam. My status can get you through the door, but staying will depend on your capabilities. Regardless, I won't leave until you're enrolled at this school. Don't forget, you must call me Godfather from here on out," Tase informed me. I nodded before following him through the huge silver gates with Ixia following behind me. The ground was literally a cloud. The entire place was bright and airy. Inside was a bustling scene. Many beings were chatting and waiting in front of a dormant orb that was set on top of a platform.

"Godfather, what is that?" I asked. He adjusted the sword in his hand as he crossed his arms.

"For a long time, future students would battle to determine who would be accepted, but eventually, they realized that battling doesn't determine internal energy aptitude. The orb reads your internal energy potiential. The brighter it glows, the more powerful you are. After examining all the students, only those who pass immortal potiential are accepted. There's different potiential levels based on the glow. Starting with no glow, no potiential. A faint glow will be fairy potiential, a brighter glow will be fairy immortal potiential, then immortal, senior immortal, and god or goddess potiential. The highest potiential is god of gods potiential, but no one has ever seen it happen," he explained. At the notice of Tase, those waiting bowed in respect, but soft chattering swiftly followed as their eyes shifted to me. Just then, a white haired immortal in gold lined garments came from inside the building flanked by eight others in similar clothing.

"Welcome to the entrance exam for the Heavenly Cloud Cultivating School. I'm the headmaster: Horus," he introduced himself.