Chapter 15

NARRATOR

A few hours had passed by and Michael finally returned home. He of course couldn't get all the way inside without Kehlani asking him a bunch of questions.

"So, what have you been up to?" Kehlani asked as Michael took off his jacket.

"I went to go run some errands." He sighed and sat next to Kehlani on the couch. Kehlani was still sitting criss-crossed on the couch like she was hours ago when she was talking to Marlon.

"Oh, okay." Kehlani quietly said.

Even though it's been a day since she told Michael she didn't want to be in a relationship with him anymore, Kehlani could tell that the friendship they had before wouldn't be the same.

"Why did you kiss me?" She asked out of nowhere. Michael turned his head to her with one of his eyebrows raised and a small smile on his face.

"I didn't kiss you. You leaned in first."

"From what I can remember, you leaned in first, but I'm not gonna argue." She shrugged and Michael shook his head and laughed.

"Okay, Lani."

****
It was almost 2 AM and Michael hadn't been able to sleep. He stood up from the couch and walked to his room. Kehlani had just fallen asleep and it wouldn't be too hard for her to wake up, even if Michael made very little noise.

He went to his closet and grabbed a plain black t-shirt and some black jeans. Just as he was walking out of his bedroom to go to the bathroom and change, Kehlani woke up.

"Where are you goin'?" She asked sitting up in the bed. Michael stopped and turned around.

"I'm goin' out."

She checked her phone to see what time it was then looked at him with one eyebrow raised. "At 1:45 in the morning?"

"Yeah." He nodded and she straight-faced him. "Ight. I'm goin' to the city. New York City." He sighed and Kehlani tilted her head in curiosity before he continued. "I go there whenever I can't sleep. It jus' helps me get my mind off shit."

"Hm."

"You wanna come wit' me don't you?" Michael asked as if he read her mind.

"Not really. I was enjoying my slumber before you came in here." She sarcastically replied and he stared at her before shrugging, "Okay." He said and he was almost out of the room, but Kehlani's voice stopped him.

"I'm just kidding."

"Get dressed." Michael said and he walked out of the room. She looked down at what she was wearing and pursed her lips before she got up from the bed and grabbed her black and white duffel bag.

As she looked for clothes, she wondered what she was getting herself into.

After finding something to wear, she changed, brushed her teeth, and met Michael at the front door.

"You ready?" He asked.

"I wouldn't be here if I wasn't." She smiled.

Michael looked at what she was wearing. She wore a black t-shirt and instead of wearing black jeans like Michael did, she wore black sweatpants. They were matching. "Why you copyin' me?"

She stared at him and said nothing.

"Go change." He pointed to the bedroom.

"Why don't you change? You're the only one who has a problem with it." Kehlani crossed her arms.

Michael was about to say something, but they heard the door to Marlon's room open. He walked out of his room with his covers wrapped around his shoulders and his eyes squinted due to the light.