Chapter 4; D

Draco was shoved back into his room and the door slammed. He shivered and wrapped his arms around his body. The shower was unsuccessful in helping him feel better, instead, it just caused his body to shutter. He could feel his ribs poking out of his once lean body. He didn't know how long he would be in here, but he knew he would soon become a shell of his former self if he stayed in this hell for any longer. For a while, he sat there staring at the wall lost in thought.

Is anyone coming for me?

He thought to himself. He knew his father wasn't the most caring person, but could he leave his son to rot? He knew his mother would never let this happen which caused him to worry immensely about her. Something was stopping her from getting him out, and Draco had to know what it was.

His mother was his saving grace. Narcissa was a kind soft-spoken woman who had happened to fall for the wrong man. Her parents were just as prejudice when it came to muggle-borns. Of course, her sister, Andromeda, didn't share those beliefs and married muggle-born Ted Tonks. This led to her being burned off the family tree along with her cousin Sirius Black, and her husband being murdered by snatchers. Narcissa married Lucius, who supported Voldemort's ideology, and she was stuck. She knew she couldn't do anything to endanger Draco. As sad as it sounds, he was her reason for living. She knew she couldn't change her own life, but she wanted better for her son. Oh, the irony of her many stemming from the word narcissist. She was anything but that.

Draco would never show it, his father taught him from a young age that emotions were weak, but he loved his mother more than anyone on the planet. He longed for the days as a child he would spend in their grand library. The days he would put his head on her shoulder while she read him books. Those days were usually interrupted by his father coming in after a long day to tell him he ought not to spend his time in books and start practicing spells because Harry Potter would be attending Hogwarts with him in the fall. And Lucius would "be damned if Draco wasn't better than him." The day the letter from Hogwarts came was the day his childhood ended. The days he spent playing in the gardens of the manor was then spent talking about Harry.

"Draco, you must befriend Harry Potter. It is very important that you do so. He will be one of the most powerful wizards in the future." Lucius told him. At the time Draco didn't understand, but looking back he realized his father wanted to keep a close eye on him.

***

Draco was in a crowd of students his age about to walk into the sorting ceremony. Crabbe and Goyle, his childhood friends, stood next to him on the stairs. He was bursting with excitement. Draco had been waiting for his first day at Hogwarts for years now. Days before his mother took him to Diagon Alley to get supplies and pick out a wand. Even his father couldn't have wiped the smile across his face.

Further in the crowd, Draco spotted Harry. "C'mon guys, father said we should befriend him," the young boy said to Crabbe and Goyle. Draco was excited to meet a new friend. Crabbe and Goyle were okay, but not the smartest. Their parents were friends so he tried to remain polite, but he wanted to befriend someone on the same intellectual level as him.

Draco walked up the stairs to find Harry next to one of the Weasleys and a girl he had never seen before. She had a mane of untamed curly hair and freckles littering her face. He stood there waiting for McGonagal to finish speaking when he decided to talk to Harry.

"It's true then," he said with his arms wrapped on his friends' shoulders, "what they're saying on the train," he paused getting Harry's reaction. "Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts," Draco said causing gasps from the crowd. Draco smiled hoping to flatter Harry.