(Chapter 20)

$ Kyle $

I turned around, and saw Alexis staring at me.

She was looking pale, and I suddenly wondered if she was alright. I ignored this.

“What the hell are you doing in my room?” I spat, trying to hide my suitcase behind my back, but it was too late.

“Going somewhere?” she asked lightly, smirking a little. I blinked. Why was she so…chippy?

“No,” I replied, immediately. I cussed. That was a natural reaction – to completely deny whatever she accuses. I tried to change the subject. “What are you doing?”

“Nothing…but I just want you to know…I’m going to get Max back.”

“What?” I said, blinking. “…Did you…?”

“That’s right. I’m not going to lose, Kyle. I won’t lose this…game.”

I blinked again. She still hadn’t realized?

She was an idiot.

I smiled, and Alexis glared at me. “Why are you laughing? What’s wrong with you?”

“I’m going to tell you a story,” I said, and holding up a finger when she opened her mouth to talk – probably to say some sort of smart-ass comment. “No, Alexis. Listen, just this once.”

I sat down, and tried to work out what I should say. I swallowed, and watched her stare at me.

***

+Alexis+

I sat next to him, on his now bare bed, watching him squirm. What’s this about? I glanced over at his suitcase, which lay at his feet. Was he leaving?

“Alexis,” he started, his forehead creasing a little. I’d known him long enough to know he was worried. “…I think it’s time for you to stop.”

“What are you talking about?”

He swallowed. “Okay…Well, a couple years back, I met a girl.”

I raised my eyebrows, but stayed silent.

“A couple years back, I met a girl…” he repeated, his eyes glazing over. “And it was everything I’d wanted. It was fairytale. It was perfect. Everything. And slowly…it stopped being a game anymore.”

I watched him struggle to come up with the right words, curious now. Who was the girl he’d – Kyle, the guy who’d broken so many hearts – had fell in love with. The one who’d made him the twisted bastard he is now, the guy who liked hurting others.

“I fell in…love,” he said, struggling to get the word out. Typical Kyle. Wait, that was kind of hypocritical of me, but whatever… “And it scared me…because I was like you. I liked playing the game.”

Wait…he broke hearts, before he fell in love? I frowned. That made no sense.

“And so…Do you know what I did? I tested her. I tested fate. Because, surely, if it was meant to be, nothing could ever happen to us, right?”

I could already sense there wasn’t a happy end to this story.

“I…pretended to fall for someone else. I was an idiot, to try and make her jealous, but…she wasn’t jealous. Not at all. Mad, really. And…she moved on.”

He looked me straight in my eyes. “And now she’s out there, playing the cold, lonely game, just like me.”

We were both silent for a while.