Chapter 8

Cinderella's eyes began to well up with tears again as she realized our chance to go to the ball had disappeared. "Hey Cinderella, why don't we go outside?" I suggested. "Maybe we can see the palace lights from here."

She nodded and followed me into the garden. I had lied about my reason for wanting to go to the garden. In reality it was the most plausible place for the fairy godmother to show up since it was where we kept our pumpkins.

We sat down on a stone bench surrounded by roses and watched the sky. We definitely could not see the palace from here and I didn't expect to but I was still a little disappointed. I guess part of me thought it might be fun to see high society for once. I shoved the bitterness away and looked at Cinderella. Her eyes twinkled as she watched the night sky.

"Wow! Look at that star right there!" Cinderella pointed at a particularly bright star in the sky. "It's so pretty!" The star sparkled in response as it seemed to grow larger. "Hey, doesn't it kind of look like that star is getting a little bigger?" She tilted her head as her brow furrowed.

"It's not getting bigger, it's getting closer!" I cried out as I shielded Cinderella from the bright light hurling towards us.

A crash followed by a yelp sounded from behind us. "My, what a landing!" A perky middle aged woman gasped. "Is anyone dead?" She looked around, checking for a body. "No? Thank goodness. It's always so messy when you land on someone." She crossed her arms in a huff. "So, which of you is the pure soul in need of help?" The mysterious lady waved her wand back and forth pointing at Cinderella and I.

"That would be her." I pointed to Cinderella who was still in a state of shock.

"Goodness, you don't look the least bit surprised that a lady just fell out of the sky." The fairy godmother laughed.

"I had a hunch something like this would happen." I admitted. It was too late to act surprised now.

"What a curious child, your soul is out of balance with your body." The fairy godmother lifted my chin gently as she looked me up and down like a strange foreign object. "No matter. You are not my problem. I only deal in pure souls, not the misplaced." She shifted her glittery white cloak as she stood to face Cinderella. "Now my dear, I see that you would like to go to the ball."

Cinderella had finally snapped out of her trance. "Who are you?"

"Why, I'm your fairy godmother of course." The fairy smiled. "I'm here to grant your wish!"

"Then... can you get me and Violet to the ball?" Cinderella pleaded. "Please? I would be very grateful."

"Of course, let me just fix you up some better attire along with some transportation." The fairy godmother pulled out a scroll. "According to this, the current trends are large skirts and thin waists." She shrugged. "I can work with that."

The fairy godmother held out her wand and with a flick and a swish, Cinderella was surrounded by glitter and smoke. Her cleaning clothes slowly transformed into a pale pink ball gown decorated with intricate flower designs. Her hair was tied up neatly in a bun with not a single strand out of place. Her round crystal blue eyes glittered with excitement.

"Huh, not blue." I muttered to myself.

"I believe that a lovely dress should suit a lovely girl." The fairy godmother clasped her hands together in satisfaction. "Now for the foot wear, always the hardest part."

"Ah, I actually have an idea for that." I spoke up. Mine as well speed up this process. "What if she had glass slippers?"

"Yes of course!" The godmother gasped in excitement. "Brilliant, I couldn't have thought of a better idea myself!" She pointed her wand at Cinderella's feet and a puff of sparkles formed at Cinderella's feet. The once worn and dirty slip ons had become glittering and elegant glass shoes. I noticed that they had a pink tint to match her dress with a floral decal on the side.

"Now for you my dear." The godmother turned towards me.

"Wait what?" I stepped back. "I thought this was just for Cinderella."

"She specifically asked to go to the ball with you. I couldn't possibly let you go in that." The fairy glanced me up and down with a pitying expression. "So, without further ado." The fairy godmother waved her wand once again as I felt a cold breeze surround me, carrying fine bits of glitter with it. "I give you the new and improved ball gown!"

I looked down to find an off the shoulder royal blue ball gown covered in tiny diamonds that sparkle like stars in the night sky. The once gaudy orange gown was replaced with an elegant deep blue one. I stuck my feet out to find a second pair of glass shoes.

"The shoes were your idea, I found it only fitting to give you the same." The fairy godmother shrugged.

"But I don't think I can walk in heels very well..." I frowned at the lack of boots.

"Nonsense, it's her first time wearing heels as well, you don't think I would have placed a charm?" She laughed and brushed away my concern. "Until the magic runs out, these shoes will feel like everyday shoes." She frowned as her tone became serious. "But remember this, when that clock strikes twelve, all this magic shall fade and you shall return to what you wore before." She gestured to the clock tower that could be seen from miles away. It was the clock tower that everybody used on a daily basis when going about their business in town.

"Do you understand?" The fairy godmother questioned.

We both nodded in agreement. "Understood!"

The fairy godmother sighed. "Lastly you'll need transportation." She looked around and spotted the pumpkins. "That shall do as a base." She flicked her wand for one final time and the pumpkin grew as large as a carriage. Following the glass theme a wire frame was formed around the pumpkin with glass growing in the frames leaving a crystal pumpkin shaped carriage. A shimmery figure formed at the front along with some shimmering horses. Slowly they formed into real looking creatures.

"This all looks very fragile." I muttered in aw.

"My dear, you must trust in the charms. They're stronger than you may think." The fairy godmother clicked her tongue in disappointment. "Now off you go, or else the ball may end before you get there!"

"Thank you so much!" said Cinderella, who had stayed silent till, now finally said.

"Yes, thank you very much for all the help." I nodded in agreement as I helped Cinderella into the carriage and followed after her, surprised when the glass shoes didn't cause pain or shatter. The horses let out a whinny as they pulled forwards to the palace.

"Remember dear children, you must watch the clock!" The fairy godmother called after us as she grew smaller in the distance.

"I can't believe that we're actually going to the ball!" Cinderella squealed in excitement. "I can't wait to dance and see the palace!"

"Yeah..." I had to admit, dancing was not high on my list, but it was nice to see Cinderella so excited. "Who knows, maybe you'll meet a charming prince and you can dance the night away."