Chapter 4: A Question For A Question

"Our goal in profiling victims is not to figure out their motives." I reminded the class. "Instead, we want to know whether they're hiding something, and why. We want to understand how they're processing what happened."

A student raised their hand.

"Yes, David." I called.

"What if they're actually the unsub?" He asked. "I was studying the Mr. Scratch case, and it seems like the BAU dealt with a victim who was really the unsub. How do you balance trying to figure that out with being sympathetic?"

"Never assume a victim is the unsub. Those cases, while they do exist, are rare. Keep your guard up, but do not accuse without proof." I answered. "Trust the profile. If the profile says that the unsub wants to be involved in the case, double-check your victims, but never make unfounded assumptions."

He nodded in understanding.

"I'm going to assign you each a description of a victim and the crime they experienced. Write me a single page on how you would talk to them, what methods you would use. Type it or write it, I don't care. Due next class." I walked around, handing out the small folders randomly. "You'll turn in your writing with this folder, which contains all the information you'll need. Use your notes, use your textbook, and trust your gut."

There were murmurs of assent.

"Class dismissed." I began organizing my papers and putting them back into my bag, waiting to see if anyone approached.

David did, walking up onto the stage. "Agent, I have a question, it's not about the assignment though."

"Please, go ahead." I put my papers down and looked at him. "Any questions are always welcome, you know that."

"Well, you always talk about interrogation and profiling in a sort of vacuum. You talk about the use of private rooms, controlling the lighting, all of that. Is it ever appropriate to interrogate or profile a victim or unsub at the scene?"

I sat back against my desk, smiling. "Good question. Most often, we like to separate anyone involved in a case from the scene, to avoid other influences. However, we do use methods such as cognitive interviews to help understand what they experienced. In the case of unsubs, it is always recommended to keep them in a controlled environment such as an interrogation room. But with witnesses, it can sometimes, at your discretion and the discretion of your team leader, to allow a witness into a scene in order to see how they react to the area."

David nodded slowly.

"You always want to make sure the scene is processed first." I continued. "Work with your scene techs, not against them. And keep a close eye on whoever you're talking to. If you think having them at the scene is working against you, then take them out. It almost always comes back to trusting your gut."

He nodded again. "Agent Graham says we should always keep anyone involved out of the scene as much as possible."

"Agent Graham has a different way of looking at scenes. He requires silence and a space in which he can concentrate on recreating the crime." I answered. "He is not a profiler. How you treat the scene depends on what your goal is."

"How do you reconcile that, then?"

"Communication." I shrugged. "It's all about communication, no matter what field you're in. Will Graham communicates with the scene itself, the appearance of everything, the bodies. Profilers focus on the people we can talk to."

"Thank you, Agent." He smiled at me. "That really helped."

"Any time, David. Questions are always welcome." I nodded. "Have a good day."