Chapter 37

Harper

There are some things you know before testing. When I put my spoon on top of the one already in the drawer, it's going to nestle perfectly in place. Any Lego will fit atop of any other with a satisfying click, and my cheek fits perfectly into the crook of Asher's neck. I knew it before I found myself here, but now I can say it without a doubt. It feels like home.

His face rests against the top of my head as our bodies sway slowly, the music pulling us around the dance floor. The stars above casting a twinkling map at our feet as we glide. My hand is in his, and it should feel foreign, this boy I've only just begun to meet, and yet I know him already. He's my protector—my adventure guide—my partner in crime—my everything right now.

His heart beats against my skin, slow and steady. My nose brushes against his neck as I move to get even closer when his arms cinches me tighter. His chin dips, his cheek brushing mine until his lips dance across my jaw lightly. Behind my back his arm pulls me in, pressing me against him, drawing me into his chest. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say I'm melting into him and I don't want to stop. The closer his lips get to mine the quicker my heart races until I feel like I might pass out.

I can't tell you if we're moving or floating. We might be dancing or flying. His lips kiss my jaw, then my cheek. I open my eyes and meet his as my breath stops, waiting for his next move. It's a pause so heavy with want and questioning. His hand releases mine and moves to the side of my face, his thumb running lightly beneath my eye before his lips close the distance and press against mine.

...and there are some things you know before testing.

****Thanks for being patient! I've been working on so many other projects. I hope you all checked out my full length novel Never Alone here on Wattpad! I entered it in the Wattys. It's one of my favorite stories I've ever written. Come say hi on social media (at)sarahwhitewrite Please remember to vote, comment and share!