Chapter 5

Carnival Lights

"A good friend is like a four-leaf clover: hard to find and lucky to have." – Irish Proverb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After my unexpected workout with Aiden yesterday, I woke up extremely sore the next day.

As much as I wanted to sleep in since it was Sunday, I had made plans with Brooke and Caroline earlier in the week. We were going to grab brunch somewhere and then going to an end of summer carnival somewhere in Wilmette.

It was all Caroline's idea, sort of like a last hoorah before the summer ends.

Rubbing the tiredness out of my eyes, I decided to get out of the comfort of my bed and take a long hot shower in the hopes it would soothe the soreness. After my shower, I quickly got changed into a navy blue maxi dress with a white and pink floral patterns. It had spaghetti straps and a slit down the right leg, making it the perfect amount of sexy and cute, all while remaining fairly modest.

As I applied some red lipstick in the mirror, my phone chimed. It was Caroline letting me know she was out front.

After one last look in the mirror, I grabbed my purse, waved goodbye to my mom and headed out.

Caroline was waiting for me in her black BMW with the music blaring.

It's a miracle this girl can still hear.

"You look so cute!" She shrieked once she saw me. "Hopefully there's going to be some smoking hot single seniors from the local high schools."

Rolling my eyes at her, I buckled my seatbelt. "You know, some of us aren't going to this thing today in the hopes we'll get laid."

"Pst!" She scoffed. "When is the last time you got some?"

It was my turn to scoff and roll my eyes at her. "That is none of your business!"

"Exactly!" She shrieked. "It's been so long you can barely remember."

I decided to keep quiet. This was not an argument I could win with Caroline. After we picked up Brooke, Caroline drove us to a cute little café called Cupitol Coffee and Eatery in Evanston. We weren't seated for long in their outdoor patio before Caroline jumped straight into the interrogation.

"So," Caroline began as she took a sip of her iced coffee. "A little birdie told me you hung out with Aiden Cooper yesterday."

"I wouldn't exactly call it hanging out." I replied leaning back in my chair.

"Oh no?" Brooke challenged. "What would you call it then?"

"Hmm. Lets see." I replied as I pretended to ponder my response. "Kidnapping? Abuse? Physical torture? Take your pick!"

"Oh, so he's into the whole Fifty Shades kink." Caroline smirked.

"Oh my god!" I laughed. "You're something else."

After the waitress took our order, I was hoping to get back to a regular conversation, but it seems both Brooke and Caroline did not want to give up the whole Aiden thing.

"Seriously Nat," Brooke began. "What is going on between the two of you. You guys have spent like every day together and there's a rumor going around that you were at his house this weekend."

The mention of rumors piqued my interest. "Rumor?"

"Yeah." Brooke replied as the waitress placed our food in front of us. "Kathy, who's on the volleyball team with me, is his next door neighbor. She said she saw you at his house yesterday."