A Full Day of Classes

The next morning, when the departing owl had barely cleared the top of the milk jug, Hermione let out a huge gasp and flattened the newspaper to reveal a large photograph of Delores Umbridge, smiling widely and blinking slowly at them from beneath the headline:

Ministry Seeks Educational Reform Delores Umbridge Appointed First-Ever "High Inquisitor of Hogwarts

"High Inquisitor?" said Harry darkly. "What does that mean?"

Estella had never read such rubbish before. Percy raved about Professor Umbridge and her incredibly successful impact at Hogwarts; now out with the old and in with the new. Estella glared as she read. Through Umbridge's new position, she'd have the ability to eventually overpower Dumbledore.

"So now we know how we ended up with Umbridge! Fudge passed this 'Educational Degree' and forced her on us! And now he's given her the power to inspect other teachers!" Hermione was breathing fast and her eyes were bright. "I can't believe this. It's outrageous..."

"I know it is," said Estella.

But a grin was unfurling on Ron's face.

"What?"

"Oh, I can't wait to see McGonagall inspected," said Ron happily. "Umbridge won't know what's hit her."

Oh, we've got History of Magic," said Estella, jumping up. "We'd better get going. If she's inspecting Binns's class we don't want to be late."

Professor Umbridge was not inspecting their History of Magic lesson, which was pretty dull like the previous Monday, nor was she in Snape's dungeon when they arrived for double Potions, where Estella's moonstone essay was handed back to her with a large O scrawled in the upper corner.

"Good work, Dumbledore," he muttered in a low and semi-pleased tone. That was all she'd get from him.

"I have awarded you the grades you would have received if you presented this work in your O.W.L," said Snape with a smirk, as he swept among them, passing back their homework. "This should give you a realistic idea of what to expect in your examination."

Snape reached the front of the class and turned to face them.

"The general standard of this homework was abysmal. Most of you would have failed had this been your examination. I expect to see a great deal more effort for this week's essay on the various varieties of venom antidote, or I shall have to start handing out detention to those dunces who get D's."

Estella realized Hermione was looking sideways in an attempt to see what grade they had gotten and she quickly shoved her essay in her bag, not wanting Harry to also see it, given he'd gotten a D on his. She'd help him with his next potion essay.

Estella began to work on her Strengthening Solution that had turned to a clear turquoise which meant it was a success. She delivered a flask of it to Snape's desk at the end of the lesson with a feeling of triumph. She wouldn't have to worry as much about this class on her exams. The only classes she really had to try in were Herbology and Arithmancy; sometimes she just didn't read the directions and it'd throw off her entire equation.

"Well, that wasn't as bad as last week, was it?" said Hermione, as they climbed the steps out of the dungeon and made their way across the entrance hall toward lunch. "And the homework didn't go too badly either, did it?"

Estella shrugged while neither Ron nor Harry answered, so she pressed on, "I mean, all right, I didn't expect the top grade, not if he's marking to O.W.L standard, but a pass is quite encouraging at this stage, wouldn't you say?"

Harry made a noncommittal noise in his throat.

"Of course, a lot can happen between now and the exam, we've got plenty of time to improve, but the grades we're getting now are a sort of baseline, aren't they? Something we can build on..."