t h r e e

" Every heartbeat is bestowed upon,
Compassion embraces a child eternally
That uplifts a child's soul in isolation in every way."

Inumaki Toge watched quietly as Shiro wiped the sweat on her forehead with a towel. The two had just finished sparring, each of them working up a sweat. To focus on their physical stamina, they decided to spar without their cursed techniques.

The two teenagers have been quite close since their first meeting at Shiro's fifth birthday party. Initially, Lucian had refused the Inumaki's request to see Shiro for quite some time, preaching something about distractions. After a couple months and finally coming to an agreement that the two would be training together, Lucian finally agreed, to both Shiro and Toge's delight.

"Leaf Mustard?"

Shiro nodded. Being friends with Toge for about ten years now, she has become accustomed to Toge's odd way of speaking in onigiri ingredients. After the Inumaki's left, Shiro asked her mother about it. To summarize, most of the Inumaki members possess the cursed speech, which can be especially dangerous if they were to speak normally. For the safety of themselves and others, they limit their vocabulary.

"My father is out today" Shiro grinned, a glint shining in her eyes. "I won't get in trouble if we stop early and go out to play"

Toge only looked at the petite teen warily. He wasn't sure this was a good idea. If her father were to return early, the only one that would be put in punishment would be Shiro.

"Aw, don't look at me like that~" She pouted with both hands on her hips. "I just want to have some fun"

The grin never left her face. "You know I never get to do what I want."

Yes, Toge did know. Even from when he was young, he knew exactly how stern the head of Arai family was. He was obsessed with rising his clan's reputation to be on par with the top three Jujutsu clans in Japan. Being a semi grade one, Lucian was fairly powerful. But it just wasn't enough to get him the recognition he wanted. So he decided to use his eldest daughter to achieve what he wanted. And to do that, he planned every single second of Shiro's day to ensure that and forbade any and all fun because in his words, it'd just distract her. All she was ever allowed to do was study and train.

He remembered the sullen and dull eyes Shiro first held when he first saw her standing in front of the crowd on her fifth birthday. He was drawn in by those dull hazel orbs. When they made eye contact, he was surprised. Despite his initial thoughts, they had a golden spark to them. As they met again at the koi pond in the garden, he half expected her to be like the others. They'd scorn him because he wasn't able to speak the majority of the average person vocabulary. Even as a five year old, Toge understood the weight of his words, his family made sure of it to make sure he wouldn't unknowingly hurt anyone. However, the other children didn't know nor understand of Toge's family curse, and this made him an easy target for bullying.

"Neh Toge"

Shiro's voice brought him out of his own thoughts and he turned to look at the Arai heir. Her eyes were sad, and he noticed she was no longer smiling.

"I'm going to leave the Arai family"

"... Tuna Mayo"

Shiro didn't need to be an expert in Toge's onigiri language to guess what he said.

"I've already spoken with the dean, the college basically will take care of my funds so I don't need to worry about living haha" She softly laughed, despite there was no sense of humor within her words.

"Tuna tuna" Toge furrowed his brows, unsure if this would be a good decision for her.

"I want to be free Toge. I can't do that in this family." The sad smile remains on her face as she looks above at the swaying leaves. Shiro could feel the soft breeze kissing her face as if it was telling her it will be alright. "I'm certain father doesn't love me." Her sad eyes followed the leaves as it slowly hit the ground.

She had already decided this and wanted to tell her childhood friend before telling her father. For sure, her father will throw a fit. She was his golden goose. Being obsessed with Gojo Satoru, her father loved her ability to adjust time, him deeming it the closest thing to Satoru's infinity.

Despite her abilities falling far from Satoru, unsurprisingly her father still constantly bragged about her and her ability, to the point where Shiro felt like she could barley keep up. This pressure and responsibility combined the physical abuse her father puts her through, she just about had enough. Any further, she's sure she'd hit her breaking point. Though mother wasn't too bad.. But she enabled her father and always took his side without a second hesitation. Shiro just wished her mother would stand up for her just once in her life.

The only thing she was worried for were her siblings. She knew her father wanted more children in hopes they could contribute to his far fetched ambition. However, lady luck gave him a younger daughter that lacked the ability to see any curses and the ability to use any cursed techniques, and a son that is in the hospital every other week.

They should be alright since they aren't sorcerers. She tried to convince herself. She knew of her fathers temper, she witnessed it many times daily. But even he wouldn't aimlessly hurt those who can't fight back... right? Honestly, he's not right in the head. You can't just get a spot in the top family just because one of your clan members is a decent sorcerer.

A pair of warm hands brought her out of her daze. She didn't realize she had been frowning. Her eye brows had been furrowed and eyes were deep in thought. Shiro's honey hazel eyes met Toge's warm brown orbs and instantly she felt a wave of comfort rush through her body.

Right. I'm not completely alone.

"Salmon"

"Thanks Toge" He let go of her hands as she smiles sheepishly.

She bites her bottom lips, "Honestly, I'm still afraid of father but I feel better knowing you're here for me" she says nervously.

Toge only nodded.

Shiro gave her friend a hearty smile. Despite all her family problems, she felt lucky. So so lucky for having such a great friend.

"Now seriously, enough with the sad stuff" she makes a face. She starts to skip towards the exit as she looks over to Toge. A mischievous smile slowly started to form onto her face. "It's time for us to go out and play~"

Toge internally groaned. This meant, she was going to continuously drag him around the city until they were both exhausted. He could only hope Shiro knew what time her father was going to be home, and would be able to get home before then.

"C'mon hurry! I hear father won't be home until tomorrow night!" She exclaims as if she read his mind. Arriving at the doorframe, she excitedly waved at him motioning him to hurry up.

Seeing her excitement, he couldn't help but curve his lips upwards as he hurriedly caught up to the black haired teen.

You deserve the world.