fourteen

Beverly

The taste of his mouth was exactly like I imagined. Spearmint. But mixed with a slight hint of sweet wine. His lips were unimaginably soft, and the way his tongue glided across my mouth made me weak. His large hands touched my face softly, placed comfortably on my jaw as if he wanted to pull my face closer, and his touch was electric. Metal rings felt cold as they cupped my jawline. My hands made their way to the back of his head, where my fingers gently tugged at his brown curls.

Fuck.

We continue kissing, our hands eagerly moving, trying to find a place to rest. He inhales sharply as he strongly grabs my face, desperate to deepen the kiss even more, though it might not even be possible.

"Wait," I breathe, pulling away, and placing a hand on his chest to softly push him away. He stares at me, his eyes oh so green, and a look of concern grows on his face. "I'm sorry," I sigh, dropping my hand.

"No, I'm sorry." He immediately apologizes, slowly backing away from my face.

"Harry, you just got out of a relationship..." I say softly.

"It wasn't like that." He defends himself, shaking his head and frowning.

"And we hardly know each other." I continue. "I mean, we haven't even... hugged." 

I hate the awkwardness.

"We do know each other a bit." He says. "Look, I can't even deny it anymore, Beverly." He sighs, running his fingers through his wavy hair, his rings glimmering from the glow of the fire. "I like you. I love talking to you, and listening to you, and - "

"And I like that too." I interrupt. "But this is moving fast, and I just - I don't know." I say.

"I understand. I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable - "

"No, you didn't. Don't apologize." I reassure him. "I enjoyed that. A lot." I admit, and somewhat regret it as a quick grin appears on his mouth. "But we just decided on being friends." I remind him. He nods.

"I can't deny that I feel for you more than just a friend, but I respect what you feel." He tells me again, and I just want to melt and give in and kiss him again. "But yeah, that was... incredible." His accent is deep, slightly raspy. I feel weak.

"Fuck," I groan. "The thing is... I... I like you too. But I think that what's best is for us to be friends." I say, and at this point I'm only trying to convince myself of that even though so much of me doesn't believe that to be true anymore.

"You like me?" He smirks, and the worried etch on my face slowly grows into a smile.

"Ugh. I - so what?" I roll my eyes, and he laughs.

"Look, we can get to know each other more." He offers, but part of me is still scared. "Go out, talk, learn. And then we can... re-evaluate. Although I don't think I'll need to." His confidence is attractive, but intimidating at the same time.

"I'd like that." I admit, tucking my hair behind my ear. 

"Alright, then. We will get to know each other properly." He nods. "Tomorrow." I smile.

"So soon?" I feel my cheeks warm, liking the feeling of knowing he wanted to see me again. 

"Of course." He smiles back, small indents appearing on his cheeks. "I also hope you know I didn't have any other intention tonight other than getting to know you. And I want you to be comfortable." I nod, appreciating his honesty and respectfulness. 

"Thank you. I didn't think you would. But it is getting late, and I should be getting home." I say, not wanting to leave his presence, but knowing I should before we fall into the trap of lust again.

"Yeah, no problem. Are you okay to drive? I'll order you a car." He says, not waiting for me to respond. Instead, he reaches for his phone, and instantly begins to open the Uber app. His hands make the phone look small, and my eyes linger at the inked spots scattered around his skin.

"Don't worry about it," I say pulling out my own phone. "I can do it." 

"Don't be silly." A frown etches into his forehead. He doesn't look up once, and continues to click through his phone. I can't help but smile again, thankful that he's occupied just so he doesn't see me blushing. 

"Well, thank you. That's kind of you." 

"It's ordered. The driver will be here in about 5 minutes." He says, his green eyes looking back up to me. I nod, and we make our way back into the house and to the front. The cool night air feels good on my skin that's warm from the alcohol. I breathe in the air, my eyes fluttering closed. The bright light of a car pulls into Harry's driveway. 

"Thank you for a wonderful night." I say, looking at him. 

"It was my pleasure." He says, walking me to the Uber. He peeks into the window and confirms that the Uber is for 'Harry.' Before opening the door, he looks at me once more, pulling me into a hug. His arms engulf me as they're long and wrapped around my body. My own hands slither around his waist, as my eyes close, inhaling his pleasant scent. I could stay like this forever. 

"There, we hugged." He smirks as we pull away. I can't help but laugh, rolling my eyes at his joke.

He opens the back door for me, and shuts the door after I've fully gotten in. I watch him as the driver pulls out the driveway and he waits until the car has fully left before heading inside. 

The entire car ride home, I feel like I'm on a high. Every detail made me blush; from his hands on my skin, to the way his curls tickled my hands. I haven't experienced the sensation of butterflies since college, and even then it was never as electric as this. I wasn't sure why he had me feeling the way I did. I would've never imagined falling for him, much less even meeting him. My phone buzzes, interrupting my thoughts.

Let me know when you've arrived home. H.

My phone screen glows, this text message displayed on my screen. The Uber driver pulls right in front of my apartment building and I thank him before stepping out and heading upstairs.

Just got inside. Thanks for checking in.

I push my apartment door open and set my stuff on the counter, breathing a sigh of exhaust. My eyes close, the instant flashback of tonight's events filling my mind, and again, my skin gets hot. I get dressed in my sleeping clothes, and pull the sheets back on my bed, climbing into the warmth just as my phone rings.

"Hello?"

"Hi." The familiar British voice fills my ear and I smile.

"Did I leave something?" I ask, unsure of why else he'd call.

"No, just wanted to hear your voice."

"You just saw me." I laugh, slumping down onto my pillow.

"Yeah, well. Can't get enough I guess. What are you doing?"

"Just got into bed. You?"

"Me too. What are you wearing?" He jokes and I laugh. 

"This isn't what I had in mind when I said I want us to get to know each other." 

"Joking." He says, and I can see his dimpled smirk in my head. "Anyways... tomorrow." He mentions. "Are you free for a hike?" 

"I believe so," I say, the thought of seeing him again already exciting me. 

No. Friends, Beverly. I tell myself. 

"Good. Can I pick you up at 9?" He asks and I nod, forgetting he can't see me.

"That sounds good." 

"Great. Get some sleep, then. Long day tomorrow." He says and we both say good night. 

I put my phone on my nightstand, and turn the lamp off. I lie awake for a bit, reminiscing on the night. Every thought possible went through my head. Did he break up with Nadine because of me? How did this happen to me? How was I kissing Harry Styles? My stomach fluttered thinking about it. I drift off to sleep quickly, excited for the day tomorrow.

· · ·

Real picture of Harry's house lol (not anymore he sold it)