ARC 15 : DEATH CYCLE

Chapter 214: Death Cycle (XII)

TL: Resonance

There were two main types of zombies. One type was the original zombies, which was the first batch of people who got infected by the zombie virus. They went through a complete gene mutation. Although their initial levels were low, they had unlimited possibilities for evolution. Most high level zombies nowadays were all evolved from the original zombies. After reaching general level, they would gradually gain consciousness and an independent personality, becoming a true new species.

The second type of zombies were variants formed after receiving secondary infection from the original zombies. They did not have any vital signs and only had the instinct to devour flesh and blood. A more accurate way to call them would be the “living dead”. The living dead had slow evolution, but their virus spread very quickly. If an ordinary person was infected, the most they could evolve into was an intermediate level zombie. However, it was different for ability users. Infected ability users were stronger than original zombies. They also had the possibility to evolve into a zombie king, but the probability was relatively lower.

Shang Ke was unable to determine whether Di Kui was an original zombie or an ability user who got a secondary infection. All he knew was that Di Kui had already evolved into a zombie king before he devoured the dark world spirit piece. He had no compassion towards humans and he also didn’t have a sense of belonging with the zombies. It was if he was an existence independent of all other living things.

Shang Ke settled the last zombie and casually flung the blood on his long saber away. Then, he stepped on the ground filled with broken and severed limbs and walked slowly towards Di Kui.

“Three crystallines and 17 crsytalline fragments.” Shang Ke sat down beside Di Kui and roughly counted his harvest this time. “Not bad, we can buy lot’s of supplies with these.”

Di Kui looked at the wounds on Shang Ke’s body and felt unhappy. He crushed the empty milk bottle and suddenly disappeared from the spot. He didn’t stop Shang Ke from fighting with the zombies earlier, but that didn’t mean he was willing to see Shang Ke being hurt by the zombies. Once Shang Ke was done, it was now his turn. Di Kui decided to kill the group of zombies far away that got attracted here by the smell of blood.

Shang Ke didn’t know what Di Kui went to do and didn’t mind it either. It didn’t matter as long as he wasn’t going to destroy the world.

Shang Ke took out some jerky from his bag and bit on it, admiring the sunset which was bright like blood while waiting for Di Kui to come back within the mountain of corpses.

At this moment, Shang Ke felt his eyes jump. He seemed to have felt something and turned around to look. There was nothing behind him, but the feeling of danger didn’t disappear.

Shang Ke spread his perception and found some light hidden nearby as expected. Two of the lights belonged to two general level zombies while the other light came from an ability user, and it was an ability user with exceptional strength.

That ability user was the furthest away from him and was at the edge of his maximum perception range. Other ability users definitely couldn’t sense his existence. The soul fire within his perception was purple-blue. If Shang Ke didn’t guess wrong, that soul fire should belong to Zuo Xian whom he had seen not long ago.

Those two general level zombies seemed to be chasing after something. With one after another, the two of them ran quickly towards his direction.

Shang Ke saw what they were chasing after within a few seconds. It was a ball of rapidly spinning air. The air seemed to be intentionally attracting them over and the target was directly at the position he was in.