Chapter 158: Dancing with the Stars

The Emporium,

10th Banem, 1092.

"Look at you being so nice to a total stranger," Lunette teased Kashi with a knowing smirk as he shut the door behind him. "Our Kashi's all grown up."

"C'mon, I'm not that bad," Kashi rebutted with a wry smile as he brushed his way past her.

"Uh-huh," Lunette clucked. "You've already forgotten how we met, huh?" She pointed out as she caught up to and matched his pace. Her eyes suddenly went wide, her right hand covering her mouth in mock shock. "That's not it, is it? Is he part of some dastardly plan?"

Kashi froze in his tracks, forcing Lunette likewise to come to a halt. His head mechanically turned to face her. With a raised eyebrow, he questioned, "What do you take me for?"

"Hmm..." Lunette tapped her chin, deliberately letting her lower lip jut out. Moments later, she concluded. She began listing off her fingers, a cheeky grin spreader wider with each word, "Self-absorbed, World Dominator, Overlord, Evil mastermind, Trickster, Fraud, Cunning—wuwuwu."

Kashi chuckled, enjoying the shock on Lunette's face as he pinched and pulled her cheeks. "That's what you get for being cheeky," Kashi joked as he released his hold, then continued down the hallway.

Lunette raised her hand to her cheek, rubbing the sore muscles in a daze. She turned to look at Kashi's back, wide eyes displaying the upheaval in her heart. "Hold! Hold it right there," Lunette shouted. She ran up to Kashi and grabbed his arm. "That. Do that again!"

"Huh?" This time, it was Kashi who recoiled in shock. "What the hell?"

Lunette could see the sanity-questioning gaze in Kashi's eyes, but she could not care less. With a severe and deadpan expression, she stated, "Who knows when next you'll do something like that again. I want to enjoy it properly!"

"Enjoy it?" Kashi almost coughed blood. "You do realize that was meant to be a punishment, right? Besides..." Kashi looked over to his right where a stone-faced Larsial stood, silently watching the drama, thinking God only knows what. "We're in public."

Lunette snorted. "Dealing with a man like you, a girl's gotta take her chances, public or not. That said," Lunette said as she turned to Larsial with a sweet smile. "Forgive my manners. I was so excited to see him that I forgot to introduce myself." Holding out her hand, she greeted, "I'm Lunette Falsetto, but you can call me Lunette. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Miss..."

"Larsial J'rain," Larsial politely introduced as she took Lunette's hand in hers. To Lunette's shock, Larsial dropped to a knee and kissed the songstress's hand. "The pleasure is mine." Larsial released Lunette's hand and rose to her feet. She observed the songstress's reaction, instantly recognizing the perplexed look on Lunette's face. With a wry smile, Larsial bowed her head in admittance of her guilt. "My apologies. Force of habit."

"Ah, no, don't worry, it's fine," Lunette immediately reassured her with a wave of her hand. "If anything, I am honored. I imagine you do not make it a point to kiss the hand of any random girl you come across. There must be a good reason behind it. Perhaps, it's a cultural thing?"

"Yes, it is," Larsial patiently explained. "We daeben are trained to give utmost respect to women more powerful than ourselves."

"I heard about how you fared in the war," Lunette stated. "There's no way I'm stronger than you."

Larsial revealed a dry smile. "There're are different forms of power. At the moment, there is no doubt you are more powerful than I am."

"I suppose you are correct," Lunette admitted with a laugh. Once again, she held out her hand with a glint in her eyes. "You are a formidable woman. I look forward to working with you. On equal terms, of course."