Rising Sun

"Who put us here? Why?"

I sat at breakfast with Gally who started complaining about his job. He was a builder and had to fix things 'dumb shanks' broke. Today he was supposed to start working on another section of the homestead because it was getting full and some people had started sleeping in the field. 

Then Clint joined us along with Alby who were talking about the bonfire they were having tonight for the new greenie. Some of them still refused to say my real name.

"It's the best kind of night in the glade," Clint said as he bit down on some toast with peanut butter on the top. 

"Can't disagree," Alby said with a laugh. "You'll love it." He patted me on the back before walking away towards the medjack hut. 

Clint turned back to me again. "Enjoy tonight." He said, his mouth full of food as some of the crumbs rested on his red shirt. "You'll start trying out jobs tomorrow." He looked at me with a soft smile as he stuffed the rest of the toast into his mouth.

"FRY!" He called out, his words blurred by the full face of food. "GOT ANYMORE TOAST?" He got up and walked over to the kitchen. I laughed to myself as I got up too and walked out of the dining hall. 

The sun was rising above the glade almost blinding me. But in some strange way, it was a sense of comfort. The way the light bounced of the trees and morning dew on the grass made everything feel normal. Was I trapped inside a giant box with only guys? Yeah. But did it matter at this moment? Absolutely not.

I walked around the glade, as they called it, until someone called my name. My real name, not greenie. I turned around and saw the kid I recognized as Jeff and the guy with the blond hair and brown eyes from the medjack hut. 

"Y/N this is Newt. Newts, Y/N." I smiled at him and he responded with a smile too. He was favoring one of his legs and propping up on a crooked stick. I felt bad for the kid. Getting trampled by a cow and having a limp can't be the best thing especially here. 

"I was wondering," Jeff continued. "If you wanted to try working as a med jack? You'd start tomorrow and see how it goes." 

The thought was actually pleasing. It wouldn't be too hard to do especially since people seem to be careful enough here to not hurt themselves too often. I nodded my head. "Yeah, sounds good." I thanked him before he turned away talking to Newt. The sun bounced off Jeff's brown hair and Newt's blond as they walked, laughing and talking. 

Seeing people happy here made worries fade making it seem like being trapped by surrounding mazes was paradise. Then my mind wandered. Who put us here? Why? Did we put ourselves here and just forget it? Maybe we've lived here our entire lives. But no matter the explanation I created, no matter the various scenarios, nothing made sense. It wasn't natural. Something about being in a giant cage but instead of metal bars it was overbearing walls and over-complicated mazes. 

I longed to go home. But where was that? It certainly wasn't here.