thirty six

Her eyes fluttered open slowly, the blinding light caused her to blink a couple of times before she regained her clear sight. Lyra let out a small groan from the pain that coursed through her head when she tried to sit up.

It seemed as if the sound caught someone's attention. From beside her, someone jolt awake suddenly, blinking his eyes in surprise before they finally settled to the girl in front of him. James Potter stared at her blankly for a few seconds before his eyes widened and he jumped up.

"You're awake!" He exclaimed.

Lyra grimaced at the loud voice, clutching her head in slight pain, "Lower your voice down a bit, James."

"Sorry." He whispered, "How are you feeling?"

"Like I just got hit by a bus." She grumbled, "What happened?"

"Remember the attack on Hogsmeade?" James asked cautiously.

Lyra raked her brain for the memory, before the events that happened earlier came back to her. She immediately widened her eyes and quickly sit up on her bed, ignoring another shot of pain that came with.

"There were people hit by the Cruciatus Curse! What happened to them?" She asked frantically.

"They're all fine, love." James soothed, rubbing her back softly.

"There were no casualties." He told her, and the girl slumped her shoulders in relief.

"Thank Merlin." She breathed out.

"But one of the Death Eaters was found dead." James told her carefully, and Lyra stared ahead.

"I don't care." She said curtly, "Walburga, wasn't it?"

James looked at the girl in surprise before slowly nodding.

"Good." She said, "I promised that she would be the first one to die, didn't I?" She reminded him.

That woman will be the first to die

"Does Sirius know?" She questioned him.

"He's been informed earlier this morning. He was delighted, started dancing and skiping in the middle of the hallway." James answered,

"That boy.." Lyra chuckled fondly at the thought, "And Reggie?"

"Not yet, I think. Couldn't find him."

"I'll tell him, then."

"Did you..?" He trailed off.

"What? Kill her?" She asked curtly, "I shot a spell at her. The rest of the job was done by her own magic itself." She told him.

"How?" He questioned.

"A spell I crafted earlier this year." Lyra started.

"It drains off someone's magical core until there's nothing left for them to live off. You see, every single person has magic in them." She explained.

"Even muggles. Differences are, us witches and wizards has our magic unlocked, unlike them. And a magical core is affected by the magic we use. The more Dark magic we use, the more tainted our magical core is. And that spell was triggered by her magical core. Walburga died because her magical core was tainted. Too much. The amount of Dark magic she used killed herself. Say, I use the spell on you right now, nothing will happen to you." She shrugged

"Wow..." James breathed out, "So she basically killed herself from all the dark magic she used."

"Yeah."

"That's bloody sick!" He exclaimed.

"I expected a different reaction." Lyra raised an eyebrow.

"Well, you warned us back then that to win this war, you've got to kill, or be killed." James shrugged, "I mean, I prefer not to kill anyone, but the amount of innocent lives they've taken away..." His gaze darkened.