Chapter Six: The New Insecurities.

With hardly a week left before the wedding – Elizabeth is neck-deep in all the wedding-related work that she doesn't have enough time to complete while Maria and Charlotte try to help Elizabeth and take care of their infants. Elizabeth knows how hard it can be for both new mothers to look after their children – they were still learning things about motherhood and it could be very overwhelming and for this reason, Elizabeth tries not to bother them with more wedding work. She has been staying with Silas and Maria since returned from Chicago. The minute she touched down in New York, she has been dreaming about going back. The wedding is within a week and there is so much work to do for her. Even right now, she sits in the living room with papers, journals, and samples for decorations spread around – while she stresses about all the work, Bear, Silas's dog sleeps beside her. She sighed and leaned back until her back rested against the bottom of the couch – she ran her finger through Bear's thick hair, "You are such a lazy dog when Kathie is not around," she mumbles to the sleeping dog.

Elizabeth decided to clear it all before Bear wakes up and tries to chew everything. She was collecting all the papers from the floor and closing the journals when Maria walked out with Ezra to her chest – secured by the babywearing while she supports her body with crutches. Elizabeth's heartaches whenever she sees Maria with those – she hoped that Maria will be able to get back on her feet, but it didn't happen – Elizabeth is still clinging to the hope that one day it will get all better for Maria. Maria's lips slightly pouted, "I burdened you with a lot, didn't I?" she spoke softly as Ezra soundlessly sleeps - resting on his mother's chest. Elizabeth rolled her eyes, "Maria, for the thousandth time – I was the one who asked you to let me handle the wedding, and believe me, it might be a little stressful but it is fun bossing people around," She winked – causing Maria to laugh.

Maria heaved a sigh and sat on the couch, "I know but still – I feel like I am not taking any part in it – especially as a bride." She says. Elizabeth placed her hand on Maria's knees, "Hey, you are doing so much. I know this little guy can be a handful," She added while softly squeezing Ezra's tiny foot. Maria chuckled as she ran her fingers through his hair, "He can be – but it is all worth it," Maria said softly. "I am not going to lie – I missed Ezra when I was gone for the weekend," Elizabeth told her. Maria smiled, "And Ezra missed his aunt. Silas tried to play with him as you do – with his stuffed toys – he didn't laugh once like he used to with you," Maria told her. Elizabeth grinned but it slowly wore out, "I am going to miss him when I return," she spoke softly and ended with a sigh.

Maria placed her hand over Elizabeth's on her knee, "I know but you will be so busy with your job and my brother," Maria laughed – causing Elizabeth chuckle while her cheeks warmed up, "Believe me, you will not even any difference after a while – and we will visit you and you will visit us," Maria added. Elizabeth nodded her head, "Yes, of course, I will." She confirmed. Maria was about to say something while the main door opened and Silas walked in with Marcus walking beside him – they were deep in some serious talk that sounded like mumbles to both the women from the distance. Marcus nodded their presence in the living room and lightly squeezed Silas's arm – stopping him mid in the sentence. Silas's eyes went at the two of them and the frown he had turned into a soft smile, "Oh – hey!" He said as his eyes went to his son. He walked closer and bends down to kiss Maria on the lips before he placed a soft kiss on Ezra's head, "How are you both?" He glances at his son and softly mumbles to Maria – who looked deep in his eyes. She briefly nodded her head, "We are well," Maria replied. She couldn't look through his eyes – something was wrong. Silas looked distressed – but Maria decided not to ask him about it in front of Elizabeth. She smiled as Silas sit beside her and stretched his arms over the couch's header and rested his head on Maria's shoulder.

Marcus also walked into the living room and sat on the couch right in front of the one on which Maria and Silas sat. Maria smiled and asked, "Charlotte didn't come with you?" She asked. Marcus stretched his feet and loosened his tie around his neck, "I had some business to discuss with Silas, so I came directly from my office. I will go pick her up in a while," He replied. Maria nodded her head and glanced at Silas – who had his eyes closed. Poor guy – he was really tired. "Do you want me to make you two some coffee?" Maria asked. "That would be great," Silas mumbled with his eyes still closed. "Don't worry about it – tell me where everything is – I will make it for everyone," Marcus offered. Silas gave Marcus a thumb's up while he never opened his eyes.