Chapter Seven: Seeding The Doubts

After a long time, Maria got the time to herself after Ezra slept early tonight. He was restless during his nap this afternoon and due to which he was cranky all day long. Maria didn't have to put any effort to put him to sleep this night – he fell asleep as quick as a wink. After making sure that, Sandra, the new help Silas hired for Maria and Ezra, put Ezra to bed – Maria said goodnight to Sandra who then went to her room, which was a spare room in his penthouse. After seeing Maria struggle for months with Ezra, Silas decided to hire help for Maria's ease – at first, she was not ready for it. She didn't want anyone else to look after her son but slowly Silas wore her down. She realized that she wasn't able to give everything to Ezra because of her disability. Silas, after a month-long screening, hired Sandra, a middle-aged kind lady who has been a caretaker of her child whose mother was also a differently-abled woman.

In the beginning days, Maria wasn't settling down with the fact that she wasn't doing all the motherly things that she wants to do, but within a few days she realized that this was better for Ezra, he was now getting complete attention and care as he deserves. Sandra stays with Maria and Silas in their penthouse from Mondays to Thursdays and then gets three days off as Silas is around to help Maria around. Maria once again glanced at the baby's monitor to make sure that it was switched on. She had a book laying on her lap that she was so anticipated to read before Ezra was born but now all her interest in that book is drained. She half lay on the bed – her back resting on the pillows. She blew her cheeks out as her eyes went on her cellphone. It was almost midnight and yet Silas wasn't back home. She had called him a few times before and told her that he has some work to finish and he could be late but yet she had an unsettling feeling – she hoped he would return home soon.

On the other hand, Silas sat in dark in his office – everyone has returned to their homes except for him. He sits in dim light – Maria had called him numerous times but each time he lied to her. He didn't have any issues seeing her or his son he can't wait for them to get married so he could take her and Ezra away for a while – just the three of them. But lately, he has been bothered. He was bothered because Sean was a continuous hinder for him. He knows that Maria truly loves him and he has not done anything wrong to be scared of Sean but there was a fear in Silas's heart – he didn't want to lose Maria to anyone.

There were still five days left to his wedding day but as the day is coming closer – the more afraid he is. He is scared that something will go wrong and it will take Maria away from him. He couldn't afford to lose her again. He gulped and looked down at the message that Sean had left for him. "I have nothing to lose, Silas Harrison" it scribed on the note by his assistant. This puts fear in his heart – Sean has nothing to lose and him – he has everything to lose. His soon-to-be-wife and his son – the two people that he love the most in his life. Silas now thinks if he had made a mistake by not letting Maria know about Sean. He should have warned her about him and how he is after her, but she has already been so stressed because Ezra and Silas didn't feel like adding more to her misery. He sighed and closed his eyes – he wanted to take a break from his stressful life and get away from everything with Maria and Ezra. He couldn't wait for the weekend. He couldn't wait to legally make her his again.

Marcus walked back and forth in a smaller room of his penthouse – with his little angel in his arms. Ella was sound asleep in her father's arm while Kathie was sleeping on the bed. Charlie, who stood by the door, watched Marcus in complete awe. Even Marcus came home late after a long day at work but yet he didn't go straight to bed. He always spends time with his girls – even if they were fast asleep. Lately, there has been a lot of tension between her and Marcus – mainly because of Elna – whom she hopes never return in their life. She knows and trusts Marcus when he says that he can't even think of himself with anyone except for Charlie, but still she often feels a pang of insecurity. Although Marcus doesn't like it she still feels like he is completely out of her league and that is why she is often troubled by the thought that someday someone will steal him away from her.