~6~

•TESLA•

It was now our last period of the day, and I was seated next to Betti in study hall in the large library. Neither of us had much to do, so we just sat there and talked.

"So, I need to tell you something." Betti suddenly got serious as she grabbed my arm and pulled me in closer. "I think I like someone."

My eyes widened and my mouth dropped in amazement. The Betti Lee has a crush?! No way. She wasn't really the type to date, and I don't blame her.

"You're kidding!" I gasped with a huge grin. "Who is it?!"

"Antonio," she squealed, making me squeal as well.

After receiving a death glare from the librarian, we both covered our mouths to muffle our obnoxious laughs. As we began to calm down, realization hit me. Antonio is the best friend of Josh Brunelli, the person who's throwing the party tonight.

"So that's why you want to go to Josh's party tonight!" I teased.

Betti elbowed me in response as she giggled.

"So will you come with me," she begged with puppy dog eyes. "Please?"

"I have to practice, remember?" I retorted with a sigh.

Parties just were not my scene. Besides, if I got caught, my parent's reputation would be on the line, along with my own.

If there was one thing I knew about the rich, it was that they don't believe in mistakes. As far as these people were concerned, if you're a good person you would have done right the first time. This wasn't something Betti understood though, as her father wasn't as high class as mine.

You see, there's different types of rich people in this world, and those types seem to hate the others. There's the arrogant, the classy, the stuck up, the wasteful, the modest, the wannabes, the don't-wannabes, and so many more. Betti didn't exactly classify as any of those all of the time. Her partying habits screamed 'don't wannabe', and all her other habits screamed arrogant, wasteful, stuck up, and classy.

It wasn't a bad thing that Betti held so many prominent qualities, as I was often told I had them too. It was just the simple truth. However, my father would never condone me partying the way Betti does. And likewise, I could never put his reputation on the line by doing so.

The bell rang, signaling the period being over. Betti and I both let out a sigh as we began to gather our belongings.

"Well it's starting at around 10 and you know where he lives if you change your mind." Were her last words before disappearing into the mass of people in the hallway.

I knew I wouldn't change my mind though.

The rest of the school day went by as a blur, until I got home from school.

When I approached my front door I could hear yelling coming from inside, the voices belonging to my parents. I stopped for a second, trying to listen in on what they were arguing about. They don't do this often, so when they do, it throws me off.

After hesitating for a moment, I finally opened the door, silencing my parents yelling almost immediately.

"Hi..." I greeted them awkwardly as I made my way past the kitchen where they were standing.

"Hey princess," my dad greeted in return. "How was your day?"

I simply shrugged in response, not in much of a mood to talk.

"Why don't you go up to your room for a bit, sweetie?" My mom suggested in a fake tone of voice.

Why were they arguing?

I didn't say anything as I moved past them and up the stairs to my room, closing the door behind me. The second my door closed the yelling resumed.

Deciding eavesdropping was the play here, I lightly pressed my ear against my door and was able to make out a few hateful exchanges of words.

"You're an idiot!" My mother shouted. "How could you be so reckless and stupid?"

"Really?" My father spat back. "What exactly have you done for this family?"

I rolled my eyes and stepped back from the door, feeling very annoyed with my parents. They've both seemed so on edge lately and I had no idea why.

Marching over to my closet, I pulled out a pair of loose sweatpants and a hoodie. I needed to ignore my parents and practice for the tryouts, otherwise I'd never make the team.

After getting changed, I opened my bedroom door, silencing the yells immediately. Yet again. They were acting as though I couldn't hear them in my room, which made me so angry.

"I'm going to practice." I stated plainly as I strutted past them and into the workout room, slamming the door behind me.

You see, I don't usually disrespect my parents by slamming doors, but they disrespected me first by arguing in my presence.

I let out a sigh as I stood in front of the mirror, readying myself to practice. My hair and makeup were still done up nicely from school, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I felt a weight on my shoulders knowing that I'd need to wash my face later.

I stayed in the room practicing for what felt like hours, and apparently it was. After hoping off the treadmill for a little post-practice run, it was 8 o'clock.

Much to my surprise though, my parents were still arguing. They never argue, let alone for that long, so I knew something was up. I hesitated for a moment before turning off the light and exiting the room, making them shut up again as I walked past.

As soon as I reached the stairs I paused as my mind went to the light in the workout room that I wasn't entirely sure I shut off, so I spun back around and marched back. I let out an annoyed groan as I opened the door and saw it was off.

Of course. I thought to myself as I slammed the door shut.

My parents arguing must've had quite the effect on my mood, I don't usually get so irritated so easily.

"Everything okay princess?" My dad called out as I walked past, making me stop in my tracks.

"Oh, yeah." I mumbled. "I just thought I forgot to turn off the light."

"Well did you?" My mom chimed in from behind him. "We don't need to be running up the electricity bill."

I suddenly felt dumbfounded as I didn't have an answer to my moms question. Like yeah, I went and checked, but what if I didn't really turn it off?

Once again, I groaned as I opened the door for the second time to check the light was off. It was.

"It's off." I stated as I ignored anything else they said and went up to my room, slamming the door behind me.

My head then began to throb as I paced around my room, wondering why I was having such an off day. I let out a sigh for the millionth time and went to my bathroom medicine cabinet.

My eyes landed on a bottle of ibuprofen, and I took the recommended dose with a glass of water that was sitting on my night stand.

As I went to put the bottle back, my eyes roamed over to a pill organizer, which I grabbed for the first time in two days. All the little compartments were empty except Wednesday, Thursday, and today, Friday.

I quickly emptied all three compartments into my hand, leaving only Saturday full, and flushed the contents down the toilet.

My mom couldn't know.

~~~~~~
AUTHORS NOTE
Hey hey, thank you all so much for reading, if you enjoyed, don't forget to leave a vote and/or comment(;

I know this chapter is a bit boring, but just make sure you paid attention to the little details, because I promise they'll be important later😉