1

"Adios, Senora!" You waved goodbye to your professor as you left the classroom. Senora Rosales smiled as you left, raising a hand in goodbye as well. The door swung shut behind you, and you trekked your way through the building with the remnants of your Spanish Culture and Literature class until you were out on the campus with a breath of fresh air in your lungs. 

You closed your eyes for a moment and just took a breath. It had been a long day, and you were looking forward to a hot shower back in your dorm. 

You started the walk across campus, passing by the familiar buildings as the sun started to sink below the trees. It had been getting colder recently, to your chagrin. You'd always hated the cold, and having to walk back through campus after class while freezing your ass off was going to be a pain.  

Still, you would enjoy these last few weeks of bearable temperature before the real cold started to settle in.

You reached into your bag and dug around for your headphones, plugging them into your phone and flipping on a playlist. 

The music started to flow through your ears and you could feel yourself start to unwind from the day. It had been a long one- a long week actually. The beginning of a new semester was never a walk in the park, and it didn't help that you needed to find a new job this time as well, since the independent bookstore you had worked at last year had closed up. Most of your free time this week had been spent looking for a new job to no avail - you were about to settle for fast food service if this kept up.

The walk back to your dorm building was familiar, and you were heading up the stairs before you knew it. The general commotion of the build seeped past your earbuds - the mutter of chatter from behind doors. You made your way up to your room and unlocked the door, letting your bag fall off your shoulder as you opened the door.

The bag hit the ground softly, and you tipped face first onto your bed, burying your face in your pillow.

You let the tension drain from your body as you rolled over and closed your eyes. It was good to be back. Now, you just had to do some homework, eat, take a shower, and then you could sleep. 

You sighed, pulling out your earbuds and connecting to your bluetooth speaker instead. Your music filled the room, and you pulled yourself up and off the bed, grabbing your bag to unload it from the day and get to work on some homework.

You plugged your laptop in and placed it on your desk, pulling your now empty water bottle out as well, along with the notebooks you had used during the day. Plopping down in your desk chair, you rolled up to your desk and opened up your laptop.

24 new emails looked back at you from the screen. 

You could feel the headache setting in, but you opened your email anyway, looking through the new messages. Two from your statistics professor, about a new assignment, another one from the RA in the dorm building, one from the admissions office, about your application to the study abroad program, one from your American history professor-

Hold the phone. 

You rapidly clicked on the email from the admissions office, scanning through the paragraphs. Reviewing your application to the program... taking into account your grades and your major... looking at schools in the area... pleased to say we can accept you into the program. 

Accepted. 

Part of you had forgotten that you had applied in the first place; it had been months ago back at the end of last semester, and then you had gone home for the summer and put it behind you. But being back at school had brought it to the forefront of your mind again. 

This was great. You had needed some good news today.

Turning up the music, you danced out of your desk chair and jumped around the room a little, excited. You were going to Mexico for a semester. 

You could already picture it now - warm weather, good food, and firsthand experience speaking Spanish for at least six months, maybe more. Not to mention all the adventures you could have in a foreign country. This would be something you would remember for years, and just thinking about it made your day better.

Plopping back down in your chair, you spun around a few times just for fun. Senora had been excited when you'd told her you'd applied for the program at the end of last semester, and you were sure she would be excited when you told her you'd made it in.

You could already picture her smile and rapid Spanish now.

Actually thinking about it, you probably should brush up on your conversational Spanish before you took a trip Mexico for a semester. And you would have to pack almost everything you owned. And you would have to find a place to stay within reach of the campus. And you would know no one there. 

Some of the excitement simmered down.

For a moment, you'd forgotten that going to Mexico, actually meant going to Mexico. 

But hey, you were going to Mexico!

You switched the music off to sort through your contacts, looking for a number you hadn't used since the summer you were in seventh grade, and you had taken a family vacation to visit your Mom's side of the family in Mexico. The trip had been nice, and you had gotten to meet a batch of relatives you hadn't really known existed. A picture of you and your cousins from that trip was pinned to the wall above your desk. 

You looked at it fondly as you pressed call and listened to the phone ring on the other end of the call.

When it picked up, you smiled at the voice coming through your speaker. 

"Hola?"

"Hola Nieve." You said. "I've got some news."