6

You kept texting Alex throughout the rest of the day. It had been a little awkward at first, but soon enough you fell into a rhythm with him, chatting back and forth about just basic things - what kind of things you enjoyed, what music you listened to, if you were going to school and for what, what kinds of pets you had... just getting to know each other. 

Alex didn't seem to think anything of the fact that you were actually from America, and you found out that he was pretty fluent in English. You told him about your family back in America and your cousins here. He told you about his mom and about being a law student, which you thought was really cool. 

You were still texting him when you got back to the apartment. Nieve and Reyes were cuddled together in front of the television, watching some movie. Nieve paused it when you walked in the door and slipped off your shoes. 

"How was school? And work?" She asked. 

"Good." You said, still glued to your phone as Alex sent you another message. You grinned. 

"Do you want to watch the rest of this with us?" Nieve pointed at the television with the remote. "Reyes picked it out."

"It's a little gory, just a warning." They said. 

You glanced up for a second. "That's alright." You said. "You guys look comfy and I wouldn't want to interfere-"

"Who are you texting?"

You looked up fully, clicking your phone closed. Nieve was looking at you with a knowing smile. "Nobody." You said. 

"You're smiling at your phone." Nieve pointed out. "Is it that boy from class you told us about? What was his name? Tadeo?"

"Tercero, and no it's not him." You said, heading towards your room. 

"Wait, you're not going to tell us?" Nieve leaned forward, turning to look at you as you disappeared down the hall. 

You glanced back over your shoulder, sticking your tongue out at her and disappearing into your room. You dropped your phone and your school bag before flopping on the bed, rolling over to look at the ceiling. 

You'd spent the majority of the day texting Alex, which honestly probably wasn't entirely healthy, but something about you and him just clicked. Conversation flowed easily between the two of you with the mutual understanding that you both found each other attractive. It was fun talking to him - he was funny and seemed nice enough, although you were really just getting to know him.

You were glad that you had given him your number. It had only been a day, but it was already going so well.

You phone buzzed and you crawled over the bed to pick it up where you had set it down. Another text from Alex.

i  have to ask you something

You typed back quickly. 

ok what 

His response came through in the next few seconds. 

did u know who i was when u gave me ur number?

Know who he was? What did that mean?

don't tell me ur cute AND famous

As you waited for his reply, you tried a few quick google searches, but with only his first name, nothing came up. You tried to recall if you had seen him on any of the shows Nieve liked to watch, or in any commercials, but you were drawing a blank of who Alex could be. 

His text back was a YouTube link, and you clicked it.

The channel that is lead you to had 3.4 million subscribers, and was linked to a Twitch and a few second channels as well. You scrolled through the videos, looking as the thumbnails as you passed by. It was definitely Alex, but when he'd said he'd enjoyed playing video games, you didn't think he'd meant to this capacity. 

You texted him back, excited. 

dude that's amazing how come u didnt tell me that first!!

You returned to his channel, following the links there to his Twitter and Instagram, where you followed him. He had loads of followers on those sites as well. There was fanart, and those strange edits of him where 12 year old girls put hearts around his face and how had you met him just at work?

Another text from Alex pinged on your phone.

i thought you might have already known idk

You quickly texted back. 

i didn't but,,, wow man,, im impressed

You clicked on one of his videos and rolled onto your back, letting it play. Alex's voice flowed through the speakers of your room, and to your surprise he was speaking English. His voice was slightly accented, but you liked it. Not that you thought you wouldn't have liked it... this boy was just getting better and better. 

Another text dropped down, interrupting the video.

really? ur impressed?

You texted back.

ummm yes?! u have like 3 million subscribers, u must be amazing, who wouldnt be impressed!!

Alex's next text made your heart melt.

...okay why didnt u tell me u were perfect wtf

You just about threw your phone across the room, but you stopped yourself at the last second, taking a few deep breaths instead. You shouldn't be getting this worked up over a boy you had literally just met. But really... was it so wrong to lean into it? It was nice, feeling like a little girl with her first crush again, and there hadn't been any red flags so far. 

So you let yourself squeal like a teenager and flail around on the bed for a moment before responding. 

bro u cant just say stuff like that im b l u s h i n g 

You giggled to yourself and went back to scrolling through his social media pages, looking at his recent activity. A moment later, you got the notifications that he had followed you back, and another text. 

awww i made you blush

 This time you actually did throw your phone across the room. It hit the wall with a thunk and landed on the carpet. 

From the hallway, you could hear Nieve. "You alright babe?"

"Yeah, I'm good." You called back, going to pick up your phone. 

"I knew you were texting a boy!" Nieve said.