11

You woke up with a little headache the next morning. 

You groaned, pressing your face into the pillow underneath you in an attempt to smother the slight pounding out of your head. It wasn't the worst hangover you'd ever had - college parties in America were a different sort of beast - but the headache was annoying. 

A knock on your door forced you to pick your head out of the blankets. Nieve stepped into the room. It was obvious she had just woken up; her hair was tousled from sleep, and her face had just been scrubbed of last nights makeup. 

"Morning babe." She said, placing a large glass of water and a few Advil on your nightstand. You greedily sucked down the water and popped the Advil into your mouth, swallowing the pills with a gulp from the glass. 

Nieve perched on the edge of your bed, legs crossed under her silky bathrobe. "How're you feeling?"

You sat up against the headboard. "Not too bad. Definitely better than the aftermath of some of the parties from college back home." You said. 

Nieve patted you on the leg with a smile. "Good. Did you have fun last night?"

You nodded, rubbing at your eyes. "Yeah, Reyes' band was really good and it was nice getting out of the apartment. Thanks for dragging me along." You said. "You should do it more often."

Nieve grinned. "I just might." She said, picking herself up off the edge of the bed. "Reye's is still asleep, so I'm going to go pick up some breakfast. What do you want?"

"Anything is fine." You said. "But please change before you leave, your tits are just about falling out of that robe." 

Nieve laughed and ducked out of the room.

You rubbed your eyes, contemplating going back to sleep. Your body wanted to, but you also didn't want to miss breakfast when Nieve brought it back. You settled for just laying in bed for now, grabbing your phone to go through all the notifications you'd missed when you'd stumbled back home last night. 

Surprisingly, no new texts or missed calls from Alex.

You opened your text thread with him to read the texts from last night. 

Oh god.

You pressed your face into the pillow again. Why had your tipsy self thought it was a good idea to text him. You sounded like an idiot in those texts. It was probably fine and honestly kind of funny, but you still looked like an idiot. 

Time to play damage control.

hey sorry abt last night :) i was drinking

You closed your phone and sat back in bed, just enjoying the warmth of the blankets and the sunlight streaming through the curtains for a moment until you felt it buzz against the sheets. Alex had texted you back.

no sweat

it was actually kinda cute ngl

You texted back quickly. 

youre biased

His response came back just as fast.

and why would i be biased?

You could feel the heat rising in your face so you shut off your phone, curling up under the blankets again. God the things this boy did to you-

You phone started to buzz incessantly at your side. You snaked a hand out from under the blankets, picking it up and resting it on the pillow next to you, answering the call and putting it on speaker. 

"Hello Alex." You said. 

"Hi." He said. "You never texted me back."

"I'm not admitting it." You said. 

"What?" Alex said, a teasing lilt to his voice.

"I just said I'm not admitting it, stupid." You said. 

He chuckled and you rolled over slightly, laying out on your back. The line was quiet for a moment before Alex spoke again. 

"Did you have fun last night?" He asked. 

"Yeah I had a good time." You said. "It was nice to hang out with Nieve and see Reyes play."

"Do you really want to kiss me that bad?" Alex asked, teasing again.

You buried your face in the pillow next to the phone, ignoring the laughter coming from the speaker. "God, don't bring it up."

"Why not?" Alex said. "I enjoyed it."

"Yeah, of course you did." You said. 

"I thought it was cute." Alex said. "And if you want to kiss me that bad, just do it next time we hang out."

You picked your head up out of the blankets. "I can't just do it. It's going to take me a minute to work myself up to it."

"Why?" Alex laughed. "You already know I like you."

Your chest filled with a warm fluttery feeling at his words and you hugged your pillow close. You were going to die. He was going to kill you.

"If it's so easy, you do it then." You said, expecting that he would deflect in the same way you did. 

Instead, what he said surprised you. "Alright bet."

You laughed, flopping on your pillow again. "Really?"

"Really." He said. "Unlike you, I'm not a wimp, so next time we see each other, it's on sight."

You giggled. "You sound like you're trying to kill me."

"Please don't die." Alex said. 

"No promises if you keep saying cute shit like you have been." You said. You heard the front door to the apartment open and close. "Hey, I'm going to get up and eat."

"Alright." Alex said. "Talk to you later then?"

"Of course." You said, grabbing the phone. 

"Bye." Alex said. You could hear the grin in his voice as you ended the call, just laying with your phone in your hand for a moment. You could hear Nieve moving around in the kitchen, singing along to the radio softly. 

Your headache was gone by now thanks to the Advil, and you were floating from talking to Alex. If you could, you would stay in this moment forever, just laying in the morning sunlight, sleep still around the edges of your mind.

Your phone buzzed in your hand and you picked it up excitedly, thinking it was Alex. 

Instead, it was a text from Tercero about the project. 

You sighed, and heaved yourself up out of bed to get started with your day.