08. The missing piece

Hello my amazing reader! How r u? I sometimes think I rarely post anything other than my book chapters, should I start posting on my board too?

08. The missing piece

✧ Luke ✧

Pain.

The companion that never left my side. The feeling that always reminds me I'm still alive. The presence that has seen me at my worst.

My split knuckles heal almost instantly, leaving only a bloody splatter on my hands. I stare at the sad spectacle of a punching bag indifferently.

It's the third today.

If I continue like this, I'll have to get more of them imported here.

Wiping my blooded hands with a towel, I leave the gym and start for my room. A tide of sounds crashes over me but I've had enough experience with the Lycan's hightened senses to know how to tune them out willingly.

In a matter of minutes, I reach the familiar space of my room. The faint scent of gardenia flowers and rain reaches me, momentarily soothing my nerves.

I walk over to my desk and pick up the file I've been working on from the past few days.

The Alpha's Hunt.

I've managed the trace all the maps they ever provided their participants. All of them are different but there are some loop holes that keep repeating. And if I can manage to find ways to tackle them, I have this game in my hand.

While I scribble away my options and approaches on a paper, the door opens.

I look up, immensely irritated that someone should come in without knocking and even more irritated when I see who it is.

"Luke, baby," Darcie quickly reaches my table "why aren't you talking to me?"

I raise an eyebrow "Why are you asking?"

She looks desperate "Luke, honey, try to understand! You didn't find your mate, so what? I─

A low growl escapes my throat and I clench my hands in fists.

Five years.

For five whole years I've been forced to look for her. Going from one pack to another, training with them only for one chance to know if she's there, if I will find her among them.

"Darcie," I say with extreme self control "We should not speak in matters that do not concern us."

"But it does!" She says, her grey eyes swirling with emotions that she has no right to feel for me "I love you! I can be your Luna, you know I can! Why do you need some random girl─

This time the growl that leaves me is in no context low. I shoot up from my chair, palms flat on the wooden desk.

"And can you fix me?"

She flinches. I narrow my eyes at her, irritated, infuriated, losing my patience.

She's living in a fantasy world where love fixes everything. Where it's the supreme form of happiness.

For fuck's sake...

"Luke, I─

"Answer, Darcie." I cut her off "Can you fix me?"

She stares at me for a few moments "No..."

"Leave."

She takes a step forward. I hold up my hand in a gesture for her to stop.