Chapter 25

I beg rick not to say anything to daryl about what shane did "Please if you say anything to him. Daryl will try to kill shane please." I'm standing in front of him as everybody runs up questioning why shane is taking randall back to the shed. "Mal" I freeze when I hear Daryl's voice, turning around I put a smile on my face "Daryl it's good to see you." He walks up to me grabbing my face and inspecting the gash in my hairline.
"Shane?" He asks barely above a whisper I shake my head pulling his hands away from my face. He looks straight into my eyes expecting the truth. I take a deep breath and let the lie slip from my mouth "I tripped and fell into a car." He looks over to rick and I beg him with my eyes "Yea, she scared us to" he says and daryl looks back over to me, he grabs my wrist and pulls me away. I bite my lip to keep the pain from trickling off my tongue.

He drags me away from the group "Lift up your shirt" he demands. My eyes go wide and I stutter trying to find a response 'how did he know.' "Why" he scoffs at my question "I know what kinda man he is and I know what kinda person you are so let me see." I stand there shocked but I quickly shake my thoughts away and lift up my shirt to the edge of my bra. He inspects the already purpling bruise, overlapping the fading bruise on my ribs, growling he picks up his bow."No wait" I object grabbing his arm stopping him in his tracks. "Why, shane deserves it, he beat you and rick, did he stand there and watch it happen. He's covering for his friend." I wince at the sudden volume of his voice "No he didn't stand there and watch... shane was trying kill him daryl, he was on the ground and shane was going for his gun. I pulled him away so he could focus on me, okay I was trying to give rick time to get up." I take a deep breath struggling with keeping my voice under control "Rick's not covering for shane daryl, I begged him not to say anything." I don't look up cause I don't want him to see the tears forming in my eyes.

I slowing walk towards the camp I see carl sitting in the dirt making random designs with a stick. Walking up to him I put my hand on his hat.
"Hey bud" I bend down and grab a handful of dirt "What happened to your head" I touch my face and scratch away the dried blood "I tripped and hit my head on a car" I lie his face scrunches up "ouch" he goes silent and I move my foot so I have better balance. "Somethings in that head of yours what's up" he stays quiet for a few moments before looking up at me. "I'm gonna be a big brother soon, and I don't know what to name it" he explains frowning. "Well we have about eight months to go and when the time comes I'll be here if you need me, I'm always here if you need me carl."

Looking up at me with the biggest smile on his face he leaps up and wraps his small arms around my neck "I know." Smiling I wrap my arms around his body cherishing the moment. My smile is instantly gone and I'm pulling away from carl and running inside. "Maggie I need you" I scream maggie running out of the kitchen with a frantic look on her face. "What's wrong, are you hurt is glenn okay" I put my hands up stopping her worried ranting. "No I just uh do you have any uh pads" her mouth forms an oh and grabs my hand dragging me to the bathroom. "Stay here I'll be right back" she leaves and I sit on the toilet lid thanking whoever for this. She opens the door and hands me a pad "Thank you your a life saver." She laughs while shutting the door and I frantically undo my pants and lift the lid.

I walks out of bathroom wiping the blood off my face with a rag, walking past the kitchen I tell her thank you again before heading back outside. I stand on the porch and watch daryl go into the shed, jumping off the porch I make my way over. Looking inside I see daryl punching randall and asking him about his group. opening the door I catch the attention of both randall and daryl. "Make him stop, please" I shut the door and look at daryl "I can't do that just tell him what he wants to know." I cross my arms over my chest and lean against a cooler. Daryl turns around and continues punching him trying to get answers. I don't know how long it's been but when Randall falls off the chair I'm startled out of my head. "I told you" daryl grabs him and slams him against the wall. "You ain't told me shit" I put my arms down by my side "I barely knew those guys I met em on the road" he insists "How many in your group." Daryl questions and randall hesitates when daryl pulls out his knife I step up and put my hand on his shoulder and lean up to his ear.