63. You Okay, Mr. Adesso?

_____________________

.

.

.

River's life was complicated since day one. And it was no surprise when her baby daddy turned out to be a Capo of the Sicilian Mafia.

But he was in love with her? He has been in love with her since an year.

Now this topped everything.

Except, River was not freaking out, rethinking everything or trying to get away from all of this. While she admitted that she did need time to process everything, she also admitted to herself that what he said, though it shocked her for a moment there - especially the WAY he said it, she felt happy? Shy?

He loved her? He was in love with her all this time?

Surely, they had the chemistry since the first day they met at the hospital though they have no recollection of whatever happened five years ago.

River was a feisty, insolent creature who was rude and insensitive to a patient on the operating table. Yet she pulled off a surgery, which was complicated, like she's been doing it for ages. And the patient AKA dear old Mateo, was no less difficult. He was being rude and threatening everyone.

But then Mateo found River to be an amazing woman later, full of confidence, self-respect and principle. And she was so obsessed with her job that she didn't care about her sleep or health or anything.

And River realized that the man, though a little childish and hella stubborn, was a real good guy. One of those rare good guys who helped her find her kidnapped kids.

And they found out that they shared the twins together. That they were parents to most beautiful children in the whole world.

Mateo looked over at their twins who were talking animatedly to their GG. They had turned out so well, very smart and understanding for five year olds and the sweetest of them all.

They had kissed him on his cheek that day and said that they loved him. They did it almost every day and every chance they got but this time it was like they knew he needed it.

His eyes darted to their mother. She was talking to Jacqueline and Alessia. He was plenty sure that River would ask them their opinion about the situation that he had presented her to her. And he really hoped that the two women gave her some helpful advice.

Mateo shook his head, realizing though that he had been angry and frantic about the confession, he was nervously waiting for her response now.

"You okay, Mr. Adesso?"

Mateo looked at Susan Johnson who was perfecting her grandchildren's handicraft. They were making these origami cranes, which Lilith Johnson was teaching them to make. Adam was playing with Mia by the ocean, dipping her feet in the water as she giggled. And as for Sebastian and Alison, there were outing today as well, enjoying their little vacation to the fullest.

Mateo noted that after the whole tension has been resolved, he needed to take River out to explore Amalfi as well. What was the use of coming to one of the most beautiful places in Italy if all you do is stay cooped inside the house?

He let out a breathy laugh, running his fingers through his disheveled hair. "Your daughter is driving me crazy!"

Melodious giggles left her lips as soon as he said that. Now he knew where River and Kiara got it from.

"Papa, let's go play in the ocean." Lucas ran towards him. Mateo caught him by the hips and the little one looked up at him. "Uncle Adam asked to bring one more adult because he can't handle us all."