Twenty Nine||Flying Lessons

A sword was brought down harshly over top of my head. It was aimed at my shoulder. I countered it and fought back, pushing the person back with all the might I had within me. Anger was clearly written on his face as he was being pushed back with my assaults. They had clearly underestimated my abilities with a sword. I had been taught well. But I was not going to let myself become cocky. I knew I needed more training, far more than what I have been put through. But there was something about the anger in the man's eyes before me that stirred something dark behind my breastbone. I felt satisfied to know that I was doing far better than what he thought of me.

My point was proven as I tried deflecting another blow, but my wrists gave out at the sheer force, and the sword slid easily down my own, causing a small cut to form on my arm. It wasn't anything serious. But as I was going to fight back, Naxan's growl emitted through the air as he pounced on the man who assaulted me.

I huffed, glaring at my dragon. "Naxan, we're just training." I stepped in front of my dragon to observe him. His hot breath fanned the hair from the man's face as he directed his anger towards him.

"Hurt twoleg," He growled menacingly.

I rolled my eyes and showed him that the wound was already healed. "I'm fine. You're not supposed to interject in these training sessions." I told him sternly. I was acutely aware of the audience around us, watching as I spoke to such a beast of a dragon in my tone of voice. I could imagine how it looked. Such a small person scolding such a large dragon. It probably looked crazy from other's points of view.

Naxan growled one last time before he turned to look at me with a softness in his eyes. I shooed the dragon away from the paralyzed man underneath him. He looked from me to the dragon frightfully but accepted my outstretched hand as I pulled him to his feet.

Naxan glared at the man I was training with as he sat on the outskirts of the training arena. The other dragons around him made space for him. Some flew a further distance away in a frightful fit. Naxan didn't bother to look at anyone around him, his gaze was focused on my training partner and me. The man did not like the attention of my dragon on him. I could visibly see him squirm as he tried to get into a ready position. I sighed, knowing that he would not continue on while Naxan was glaring at him.

"Okay, Benjy. I'm up." Kayne said as he walked towards the man I now know as Benjy. I could see him relax, nodding towards Kayne as he took his place. Kayne stood before me with an unknown look on his face. I could see humor in his eyes, as well as something else. Pleasure? Respect? I couldn't tell.

I made myself at the ready, and he followed suit. He watched my every movement. His eyes wandered over every inch of my body, causing involuntary trills of heated ice to course through my body. He was very analytical.

I made the first move, our swords clashing together as we moved with one another. He was graceful with his movements. Crackling energy surged through him as he met each of my blows. "You're a good fighter." His voice was low as he talked. Our swords met each other again. "Your moves aren't exactly predictable." He sidestepped as I brought my sword closer to his feet. "You're quick." Metal on metal clanged through the air. "And vicious." My arms jittered at the force between our swords. "Yet graceful."

I brought down my sword again. He caught it with his own, and he held it there for a moment. "Who did you say your dad was?"

Groaning, I pushed back on our swords, causing him to take a few steps away from me. "Do you do this with every opponent you fight with? I'm sure the demons don't care for your rambling."

Kayne swung his sword in his hands. It silently whooshed through the air as he circled me. "I'm just trying to figure you out." This time, he came towards me. I was defending myself from the blows he was raining down on me. He was fast and did not falter, but neither did I. I kept up with his pace, metal clanging through the air. My breath was becoming harder as I resisted the urge to hold my breath during the fight.