Could You Repeat That

A few months later

"Momma?" Voya asked, perched on Sukara's lap as they sat next to Kuvira, waiting for Kya to come and check on her, "why are we at to the doctor if Mommy is okay?"

"She just needs to check if baby is okay," Sukara explained, bouncing her knee a little as they waited, "and we're not at the doctor, this Tenzin's house. You've been here loads of times."

The door slid open and Kya walked through with a smile.

"Everyone okay?" she asked, coming to sit the other side of Kuvira, "what about you munchkin? You good?"

"Yep!" Voya chirped, jumping off of Sukara's lap and running round to where Kya was, "what are you doing?"

"I'm just gonna check on the baby," Kya smiled, pulling her bowl of what closer to her, "you wanna watch?"

Voya nodded enthusiastically and climbed onto the chair next to her so that she could see.

"How are you Kuvira? Are you feeling okay?" Kya asked, picking up the water in her hand and swirling it round her fingers.

"Yeah, everything's normal I think," Kuvira nodded as Kya moved the water to her stomach, "I mean, I'm tired all the time but I figured that would happen."

"Yeah," Kya chuckled, glowing the water so that she could get a better look, "that does tend to happen."

Kya closed her eyes and felt around with the water making sure that everything was in order. She frowned when she felt something she didn't expect.

"What's wrong?" Sukara asked, shuffling forward, "is the baby okay?"

"Yeah babies are fine," Kya nodded, continuing her check.

"I'm sorry?" Sukara asked, raising an eyebrow, "could you repeat that?"

"Babies are all healthy," Kya smiled, looking up at her, "both of them are fine, all two of them."

"Twins," Kuvira said, a little dazed at the idea of having two new borns in the house.

She remembered how worn out Su and Baatar Sr were when the twins were born, how worn out they are now even when they're adults.

"I know it's a little daunting," Kya smiled, taking the water back and putting into the bowl, "and not the expected information, I'm assuming you guys still want that?"
As soon as she got a nod off of both Moms, she continued, "you have two little boys."

Sukara's face broke into a smile, of course she was scared but she was scared before of just the one baby. She had always wanted a big family, it had only been the four of them when she was young. After Zadik, her mother didn't want anymore children, and without her parents having any surviving siblings, Sukara only had her grandmother to turn to for the first five years. But then she died, and she was alone. She didn't want that for Voya, she wanted her to have people that support her when she's angry or sad or scared. She knew better than most what it was like to cry alone, her family wasn't going to be like that. The only thing her mother had taught her about parenting was what was unacceptable. Her children would be loved and supported, no matter what. Never told that they weren't good enough.