Dix-neuf

"You were the better part of every bit of beating heart I had."

-You're Somebody Else; Flora Cash

Mikala POV

[30 hours ago,...]

"Come in." A voice on the other side of the door called out immediately after I knocked.

Slowly, I turned the handle before stepping into the room. My eyes scanning the space as I closed the door, I nodded my head towards Isshiki-senpai along with Erina and the teen behind the desk.

"Park Mikala," The boy spoke, my eyebrow twitching slightly at the words. I had been addressed this way many times in my life yet I still can't get used to the last name, first name order Asian counties have. "First off, congratulations on the 98-point score you received in the elimination round."

"Oh, um thank you." My words were awkward, it had been almost a week since then, yet people were still bring it up. I never really felt comfortable in the spotlight, contrary to many people's beliefs about me.

My eyes flickered over to Isshiki-senpai who flashed me a comforting closed eye smile. Strangely enough, the action eased my nerves slightly. A beeping sound bought my attention back to the person behind the desk, I watched as he read something off his phone, free hand moving up to push his glasses back up his nose.

Sitting his phone back down, he looked back up to me, "I have something important to tend to so let's make this quick. I'm sure you can figure out the rules tomorrow, if not ask Satoshi. Your bout will be the fourth one, the theme you are to follow is dessert. As for your opponent..."

[Current]

"At last we face off, Mikala." The familiar voice of Takumi reached my ears. Turning my head, I looked away from the match I was viewing on the television to look at the Italian boy, a smug grin on his face. "Although I would have preferred to defeat Yukihira first, you'll do as well."

I didn't move as the blond boy walked closer and closer until he was standing right in front of my sitting form, hands on his hits as he looked down at me. Closing my eyes, I let out a small hum, "Yeah, let's both give our best, Takumi!" I gave the now flustered teen a small smile before once more placing my focus back on the screen just as Akira was going up to present his dish.

"O-oi you're supposed to talk down your opponent not encourage them." He huffed out, moving to flop down on the sofa beside me, also watching the outcome of the match.

I watched as they declared Akira as the winner, not all that surprised. While Hisako is a great chef, she has developed a 'second best' mindset, believing she shouldn't be on the same level as Erina. Hisako has grown comfortable staying in the shadow of her childhood friend, she is content in her position, something no chef should ever be.

Shaking my head, I grabbed the remote to turn off the T.V before standing, "I don't see why I shouldn't, we may be competing, but we are still friends right?" Grabbing my hand towel, I walked over to the door, "But that being said, I won't go easy on you, surely you'll have the same courtesy?"

"Of course, it's an insult to hold back your skills against another chef."

I didn't turn, instead I opened the door to the waiting room stepping back slightly when I saw the teen from yesterday standing in front of me, hand reached out as if he was about to grab the door handle. Blinking, I watched as he moved his hand back to his side, his other going up to push his glasses back on his nose. "It's time for you both to compete, the match starts in ten minutes. Get ready and be at the entrance in eight."