CHAPTER 6

The Dufflepuds & The Wizard

Lucy and Elizabeth spent the whole day with Gael, who told them everything about her childhood on the island. She had never had an easy life, but the love of her family was always enough for her to be happy. The woman would have really liked to be able to say the same for herself.
The sun had just begun to set when the child fell asleep, exhausted. The two women decided to let her rest and left their quarters, heading for the deck.

"She seems a really good girl," Elizabeth told her friend, as they walked along the edge of the ship.

Lucy nodded, "Yes, she really does," she replied, "she reminds me of me when I was her age," she added, sighing.

The note of sadness in her voice made Elizabeth understand that the girl was thinking about the possibility of not being able to save the child's mother. The tender heart and kindness of Lucy surprised her every moment more, the woman did not remember having ever met anyone so caring and willing to help others.

"Lucy, look at me," she said, stopping her and putting her hands on her shoulders as a sign of comfort. "We'll find them, Lu. We'll find the missing people and Gael's mother," she reassured her, smiling gently.

"Yes. Yes, you're right. We'll find them," she stated with more confidence.

"Oh, there you are," Edmund called them from behind their backs, "I was beginning to wonder where you were," he continued.

"You could have come looking for us," Lucy remarked sarcastically, referring to the fact that her brother had spent all day cleaning his new sword from the corals.

Edmund chuckled, shaking his head. "How is the child?" he asked, resting the blade on his legs.

"She's sleeping," replied Elizabeth, sitting beside him. "How are you with that sword?" she then asked him, with an accomplice smirk.

"Very well! It's almost done," he said proudly, showing it to her under Lucy's annoyed look.

"Where's Caspian?" the girl then asked him, to divert his attention from the weapon.

"In the captain's cabin with Drinian," he answered, "they are checking the route. Apparently we should see land by tomorrow night." he explained.

"And your cousin?" demanded Elizabeth, who had not heard from Eustace since the duel.

"Probably curled up somewhere whining," he joked.

The three laughed and said good night, as the sun disappeared among the waves of the ocean.

✵✵✵✵

The King and Captain's predictions were correct: at first light of dusk the following day the ship had reached another island. To see it from a distance it seemed to be an uninhabited land, but it could still be a source of water and supplies. Caspian ordered to lower the longboats: along with a handful of men, they would have spent the night on the beach and visited the island the next morning.

Elizabeth stared at the black night sky illuminated by thousands of stars. So many small bright dots shone brightly, as she had never seen before. In London it was certainly not possible to see anything like this, even in the cloudless nights: the numerous lights of the city obscured that of the stars.

Moving her gaze from the sky for a moment, Elizabeth noticed that she was not the only one awake. Caspian, in fact, was sitting not far from her, contemplating the sea. Being careful not to wake up Lucy, who was sleeping quietly by her side, the woman got up and walked towards him.