Forming the "Study Group"

"Well, you can't blame him for wanting to get out and about," said Ron, when Harry discussed his fears over Sirius being spotted by Malfoy with him, Estella, and Hermione. "I mean, he's been on the run for over two years, hasn't he, and I know that can't have been a laugh, but at least he was free, wasn't he? And now he's just shutting up all the time with that lunatic elf and occasionally Estella's father."

Hermione scowled at Ron but otherwise ignored the slight on Kreacher.

"The trouble is," said Estella to Harry, "Until Voldemort is back in the open, Sirius is going to have to stay hidden. The Ministry isn't going to realize he's innocent until they accept that Dumbledore's been telling him the truth about him all along. And once the fools start catching Death Eaters again it'll be obvious Sirius isn't one...he definitely doesn't have the Mark, for one thing,"

"I don't reckon he'd be stupid enough to turn up," said Ron bracingly. "Dumbledore'd go mad if he did and Sirius listened to Dumbledore even if he doesn't like what he hears."

When Harry continued to look worried, Hermione said, "Listen, Ron, Estella, and I have been sounding out people who we thought might want to learn some proper Defense Against the Dark Arts, and there are a couple who seem interested. We've told them to meet us in Hogsmeade."

"Right," said Harry vaguely.

"Don't worry, Harry," Hermione said quietly. "You've got enough on your plate without Sirius too."

The morning of the Hogsmead visit was bright but windy. After breakfast, they queued up in front of Filch, who matched their names to the long list of students who had permission from their parents or guardian to visit the village.

When they reached Filch, the caretaker gave a great sniff as though trying to detect a whiff of something from Harry. Then he gave a curt nod that set his jowls aquiver again and they walked on, out onto the stone steps and the cold, sunlit day.

"Why did Filch sniff you?" asked Estella, as she, Ron, Hermione, and Harry set off at a brisk pace down the wide drive to the gates.

"I suppose he was checking for the smell of Dungbombs," said Harry with a small laugh. "I forgot to tell you..."

And he recounted the story of sending his letter to Sirius and Filch bursting in seconds later, demanding to see the letter.

"Wait, he wanted to see it too?" asked Estella. She'd already known about the letter he sent to Sirius but not about Filch's snooping tendencies.

"Yep," said Harry. He swung her hand in his back and forth. He seemed to be in a good mood, despite his anxiety over Sirius.

"He said he was tipped off you were ordering Dungbombs? But who had tipped him off?"

"I dunno," said Harry, shrugging. "Maybe Malfoy, he'd think it was a laugh."

They walked between the tall stone pillars topped with winged boars and turned left onto the road into the village, the wind whipping their hair into their eyes.

"Draco?" said Estella, skeptically. "Maybe, but..."

That didn't seem like something he'd do. If he wanted to mess with Harry he'd do it someplace he could watch and would more than likely do it by messing with the people he cared about.

"Where are we going anyway?" Harry asked. "The Three Broomsticks?"

"Oh-no," said Hermione, she'd been deep in thought about who tipped Filch off, "no, it's always packed and really noisy. I've told the others to meet us in the Hog's Head, the other pub, you know the one, it's not on the main road. I think it's a bit...you know...dodgy...but students don't normally go in there, so I don't think we'll be overheard."