December 31 1940

6 months before the program

A short red head leaned against a wall outside the recruiting center. She wore a US army ribbon in her hair, a tribute to her brother James. A skinny blonde boy left the center with his head hung.

   "Why do you want to die so bad." She sighed, placing an arm around his.

He jumped.

   "Em, it's not that simple. I want to serve. Like Bucky." He said

Emily rolled her eyes.

"And if my brother jumped off the Brooklyn bridge, would you?" She asked, exasperated "Steve, you gotta use your head. Besides, what's so bad about staying here with me?"

She smiled sweetly. Her face was bare, not a trace of makeup in sight. So innocent. So pure looking. Steve shook his head. If anyone, especially Bucky knew the thoughts this girl made him have, he'd be a dead man.

"Emily Barnes. Are you flirting with me?" He teased.

She blushed before pulling him into a nearby alley.

"No. Steve Rogers." She teased back "If I wanted you in that way I'd just do this."

She stood on her toes, that's all she needed was a small lift seeing as she and Steve were of similar height, threw her arms around his neck and kissed him.

"Now wouldn't I?" She asked as she pulled away.

Steve stood there, stunned.

"You are the most forward woman I have ever met." He laughed awkwardly

She winked at him.

"Its a family trait." She joked.

They heard a voice. A familiar one.

"Steve? I heard you were down town. Where are you."

Emily gasped and took off her shoe, snapping the heel.

   "Here!" She called out from the alley, hopping on one foot.

"What are you two doing?" Bucky asked as he rounded the corner.

Steve caught on quickly.

"Her shoe broke so we got off the main street." He lied.

Bucky's face relaxed.

"Clumsy girl. Come here." He said, picking his little sister up. "You coming Steve? You're invited to dinner at ours."

Steve smiled, running after them.

A/N: The first few chapters are gonna bounce between modern day and the past.  I'll indicate which is which at the top of the page.

DO NOT  COMMENT TO TELL ME YOUVE CHANGED THE FMC'S NAME "IN YOUR HEAD" THIS ISNT A Y/N STORY...THERES THOUSANDS OF THSOE. WANT TO FANTASIZE? GO SEARCH FOR ONE.