A Break

Dream's breath shortened as he heard George's voice. He quickly hit mute.

"FUCKKK!" Dream didn't want to talk to his friend after what he had said yesterday. He felt so embarrassed. Would George ask him about it?

"Hey man, how you been?" Dream heard Sapnap greet George. He knew he couldn't be rude. He had to at least say something. A simple 'hey' would be good enough.

Dream sat silently in his chair, moving his Minecraft character. He tried distracting himself by chopping down some trees nearby for wood.

'What if I say something I regret?
No, no, everything's gonna be okay.
But what if he-
No! Calm down!'

"-eam?" George's voice startled him. He had forgotten he wasn't alone with his thoughts.

"Huh, sorry, what?"

George laughed at his response. "What's up, Dream?"

His sweet accent melted Dream's heart. The tips of his ears were slowly turning red. How could George act like nothing happened yesterday? Yea, he told him to forget about it, but Dream didn't think he actually would so quickly.

"Oh, h-hey." He didn't say a lot, but it was the best he could do. "Nothing much, really."

Those were the only words that came out of Dream's mouth for some time. He was a mess. What else could he say to his dear friend without completely ruining everything?

Laughs and giggles were heard throughout the whole stream. Sapnap and George were having a blast. On the other hand, Dream was silent, only talking when spoken to.

After an hour of streaming, Sapnap asked Dream something.

"Hey dude, why are you so quiet? You barely spoke this whole stream." There was a brief pause. Sapnap was reading his chat. "Even my viewers are concerned."

Dream had to come up with an excuse. He didn't want to ruin all the fun they were having. He was getting bored anyway.

"Sorry, I was just getting ready to, uh, take Patches to her vet appointment." That was the only lie he could come up with at the moment. It was a good one though.

"Oh really?" asked George. He seemed to not believe his little excuse.

"Yea, I actually have to leave, like, right now. So, bye!" He left the call and leaned his head back on his chair. Dream groaned as he turned his pc off. He got up and went straight to his bed.

'This feels like déjà vu.'

It was only 2:30 p.m. and he was already tired. Shutting his eyes, Dream kicked off his sheets. It was way too hot for them.

He could feel his phone vibrating multiple times on his chest. The buzzing just wouldn't stop. Without looking at his notifications, Dream powered off his phone and put it under his warm pillow. No more distractions.

He drifted off to sleep in a quick second.

——————————

The next day, he powered his phone back on. It was already 8 at night.

'12 unread messages and 4 missed calls from Sapnap. Wow.'

Dream scrolls down farther.

Twitter, Instagram, youtube, George.

'Wait-'

George had texted 30 minutes ago. His finger slipped causing him to open the message.

'Shit.'

——————————

George💙
We need to talk.

Dream
About what?

——————————

He obviously knew what he wanted to talk about. He wanted to talk about what Dream had confessed to him the other day.

To his surprise, three dots wiggled on the screen. George was typing for a few seconds before the three dots quickly disappeared. He stopped.

Dream threw his phone beside him on his bed. He got up and simply walked away. Before he could even make it out the door, his ringtone went off.

——————————

George💙

🔴 🟢

——————————

Without thinking, he accepted the call.

"Hello?" Dream was genuinely nervous.

"Hey Dream."

There was an awkward silence.

"So," he cleared his throat. "what did you want to talk-"

"We need a break."

Dream was confused. He sat back down on his bed, knowing that it was probably going to be a long talk. His assumption was clearly wrong. They weren't going to talk about his confession.

"What do you mean, George?" They were basically already on a break since they stopped talking because of Dream's "confession".

"I don't think it's a good idea that we continue to talk. You seem to be-" he takes a second to think of what he was gonna say "-feeling new things for me. And I'm not saying it's wrong! You do you. I just think that I'm not the one you should be giving those feelings to. You deserve someone better."

George had finally stopped his little rant, but there was no response.

"Dream?"

Dream was staring at the ground. The words that came out of George's mouth were repeatedly playing in his head. The man he loved, rejected him. And even worse, he said he needed a break! Not only would he lose his crush, but his best friend as well.

"Yeah sorry, I'm listening." He was breaking into tears. Dream wanted to pull his hair out. He wasn't angry with George, he was angry with himself.

'I did this. I ruined our friendship.'

More and more tears rushed out. He was quietly sobbing, not wanting George to hear him.

"I'm absolutely sorry, but I just think it's for the best."

Rain came pouring down. Droplets were racing on his window.

'Wow, perfect timing,' he thought sarcastically.

"Yea-no dude. It's perfectly fine. I understand." Dream's voice got quiet as he said the last words.

"Please stop crying. I can hear your sobs. I hope you can forgive me."

Dream smiled through his tears. Although he just got rejected, he couldn't stay upset with George.

"Of course, George. I kind of have to go now though."

"Oh, okay. G-goodnight then!"

"Sweet dreams. Bye!"

He hung up and threw his phone across the room. Patches, who had just entered the room, meowed at her owner. She ran up to him and put her paws on his sheets. Dream picked her up and cuddled with her.

"I'm sorry for scaring you, princess."

He played with Patches until he fell asleep.

•••

Hey everyone! I'm super sorry for not updating for a while. I had to take a small break to catch up with schoolwork, but I am now caught up. I hope you guys are enjoying my story so far! <3