-1-

"Just a few more seconds. Hold it..."

Syd needed to get the perfect angle for the final shot and both she and the model had contorted their bodies. The model, wearing a sapphire-colored halter gown with a high slit that went all the way to her hipbone leaned so far back her ribs protruded and neck muscles strained. Meanwhile, Syd who started the set in a simple squat, had leaned so far that her right leg was stretched out and most of her weight rested on left leg that was bent under her.

Snap.

Syd looked at the screen previewing the shot and let out a breath. "Okay, perfect!"

The model returned to an upright position and released her breath before running over to Syd. "How'd it turn out?" She said anxiously.

Syd clicked through the final few shots they'd taken. "You're really a natural, Mandi. I won't even have to do much editing. I'm so glad we were able to do this shoot today," she beamed.

"You're glad? I'm the excited one! It's nearly impossible to get on the legendary Syd Johnson's schedule."

"I wouldn't say legendary," Syd smirked. "Besides, none of it would happen without living works of art like yourself allowing me to capture your images."

"You're too kind," Mandi responded with a flattered smile. "When will you be done with editing? I'm hoping to get these photos into my portfolio ASAP!"

"Hmm..." Syd touched her hand to her chin. "What's today? Wednesday? I'll have them to you early next week at the latest. Does that work?"

"Yes! Of course! I really appreciate you doing this. It feels like my first real break. Things have honestly been so difficult since I moved to the city, I was really hoping I'd -"

"How about I keep you in mind for upcoming jobs?" Syd interrupted. Mandi had already explained several times before the shoot even started that she recently moved to New York to pursue her modeling career after having success with local brands and designers in North Carolina, but soon realized that breaking into the scene in a city that's quite literally the center of the world would be difficult.

"Really?" Mandi put her hands on her cheeks as her eyes began to water.

"Of course," Syd smiled. "It's tough out here and I finally feel like I'm in a position to help people. Oh, but one condition."

"What's that?" Mandi wiped the tears from her eyes.

"Next time you visit home, make sure to bring me back some of that famous pulled pork," Syd winked.

Mandi burst out laughing and pulled Syd into a tight hug. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you so much!"

"Okay, okay," Syd said, nearly choking as she peeled Mandi's arms off of her. "I haven't gotten you any work yet, so don't get too excited," she chuckled.

"Right. Well, I guess I'll get changed and go. Thank you again!"

Mandi walked off and Syd started packing her bag of supplies and straightening up the studio.

"You're the only one I know who manages to turn photographing human models into an extreme sport."

Syd jumped, startled by the familiar voice. "How long were you there, Hector?" She questioned, not hiding the agitation in her tone. She tried her best to avoid looking at her ex-boyfriend, afraid that making eye contact would cause her to fall apart.

"I've always loved seeing you work, cielo. You know that." Hector approached Syd, handing her one of the lenses she was missing from her bag.

Syd snatched the lens and put it away. "You sure about that? Seems like you much preferred to watch the models I was shooting considering I found you fucking one - no wait - two of them in our bed." She sped up her pace, rushing around the room to clean up and get away from him.