65. Giving It Back To You

______________________________

.

.

.

River sat on a chair, her face on one palm and her other hand playing with the crystal seashell paper-weight as Mateo made more calls.

"The place has been taken over by the investigation team and all the employees have been called in as witnesses." Mateo said finally, taking his seat. She didn't look up as she still stared at the paper-weight trying to balance it in a particular position without it rolling off.

"When did you get to know of this?" She asked, giving him a suspicious look.

"Just a minute before you walked in to the room, River. Stop giving me that look!" He defended, putting his hands up.

"But you were planning to hide it from me." The doctor pointed out, giving him a flat look as she sat up straight and folded her arms across her chest.

"I was going to tell you after I processed it myself woman!" He looked exasperatedly at his baby mama. "Stop being so difficult!"

"I am not being difficult. You are just being an arse because you feel embarrassed about your little confession." River huffed and threw her legs over the desk, lying back on the chair.

'Stupid man child!' She thought to herself as she narrowed her eyes at him.

"Little confession? Now you are insulting my feelings? Really?" He was red with anger.

"No, I am insulting you for letting your personal feelings come in the way of this situation." She clarified, narrowing her eyes at him again. To think this dumb-ass will one day be the Boss of the Sicilian Mafia was really appalling to her. She felt sorry for the future of the Mafia.

He clenched his jaw, glaring at her.

"Mateo, whoever did this is a mutual enemy. They killed her and set you up." River said, her voice low and even. "Do you know anyone like that?"

He let out a heavy breath and shook his head. "Not one who has the guts to kill the Russian Mafia Boss' sister."

"Shouldn't we go back?" She asked.

"Not you. You and the kids and your family should stay here. Adam and Alessia will stay with you. I will go." He said.

"Alone?" She asked. "At least take Adam with you."

"Don't worry. Ricardo will join me once I am there. And even Leonardo is flying in from Chicago." Though they were having a rough patch, Mateo informed her everything that was going on because he knew that it was the only way to not make their relationship any more complicated.

River nodded, glad that this man child was not going to deal with the situation himself, because knowing him, he could make things worse by losing his temper or doing something rash.

'We don't get a break, do we?' She thought in her head, sighing again.

"But won't the cops want to question me and Adam as well?" She asked, sitting back up straight, realizing this detail.

"The time of death is clocked around the time you were in the hospital and Adam and Janet were with you, so you guys got an alibi."

"And you?"

"Alessia and I were with Alfredo and..."

"You killed him." It wasn't a question. It was a statement.

He nodded. "But he still didn't say who put him up to it. I thought it was Mona but now it could be this new enemy."