˗ˋ 42

CHAPTER FORTY TWO

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SCORES ARE ANNOUNCED

. . .

The only thing that Elodie could hear was the sound of the crowds in the stands screaming and cheering. Harry and Elodie tread water, taking gulping deep of breaths of the clean air, like they had never breathed before in their lives.

She raised an arm out the gloomy water and pulled the wet strands of hair back from her face, half of her dark hair having escaped the ponytail whilst she was in the water anyway. 

And then, she felt herself being hugged, or at least an arm appearing around her waist. And Fred was in front of her, the biggest smile on his face. "You did it!" He said, and Elodie could only nod, still taking deep breaths of the clean air - the Bubblehead charm really did nothing for her. 

"I wasn't going to let you drown, was I. Honestly Fred, you expect so little of me." Elodie shook her head in mock annoyance, and Fred shook his head, starting to swim towards the platform, dragging the smaller girl behind him.

They were pulled up onto the middle platform and instantly wrapped them in thick, fluffy towels, so tightly it was like they were in straitjackets. Madame Maxime hurried over, fussing over Elodie like nobodies business.

"You are ok? Not too cold? I'll have those little house elves make you a hot drink. Madame Pomfrey-" Madame Maxime fussed over the champion, before interrupting herself to try and get the attention of the Hogwarts nurse, Elodie having no choice but to watch her do so, not wanting to interupt the woman on her motherly-nature rampage. 

But with Madame Maxime gone, it gave Elodie to really compose herself. She took a few more gulping breaths of air, shivering in her towel before trying to find Fred in the crowd that had gathered on the botttom of that centre platform. 

"Oh move out of the way." Angry, instantly recognisable French could be heard and completely forgetting about looking for Fred (he was with Percy, who had dragged him and Ron into a corner to check if he was ok) Elodie turned around, instantly spotting Fleur and stumbling backwards as the blonde girl crashed into her, wrapping her in the tightest hug. 

"Ellie you little-" Fleur began as they seperated but quickly shut herself up again as she squeezed her best friend into another tight hug. "We were worried - you and Harry were outside of the hour!"

"We were fine - just a few complications." Elodie replied, hugi not altogether willing to inform her friend that those complications came from her not being too weak to actually tug Fred out of the water.

"Good - I couldn't leave you rotting in the bottom of some lake." Fleur replied, finally releasing Elodie from her second tight hug.

"You had so much confidence in me!" Elodie said, sarcasm evident in her tone. Fleur was shaking her head, ready to reply with something just as sarcastic when Elodie was ambushed, a pair of arms wrapping around her stomach and lifting her up slightly, swining her around in a tight hug. 

Instantly she knew it was Fred, and when she turned around, adjusting her towel so that it covered her more, she was right. The ginger haired boy had a smile on his face, that was so filled with pride and some form of love that Elodie felt warm on the inside, no matter how cold she actually was. 

"You saved me." He said, looking so dopey that Elodie instantly knew he was being stupid and mocking someone. "I knew you would, what can I say, I choose the right women every single time." 

"I didn't realise this was a regular occurence for you." Elodie replied, and the  mocking look wiped off of his face, hugging her once again, turning on the spot slightly. 

"Don't worry, love. You're my only knight in shining armour." Fred mumbled, turning her around and opening his towel, pulling her against his chest, which was covered in his damp shirt. But he could see how much she was shivering, and wanted to help her warm up, for all it was worth. 

His arms landed around her waist and balanced his head on the top of hers, not too bothered by her wet hair. Elodie pulled them towards the front of the platform looking towards the judges. Dumbledore had been conferring with the mermaids for quite some time, and the tailed creatures looked a lot nicer above water.

Elodie listened intently as the judges began to announce scores. First was Krum, who got 40, then Elodie herself, who recieved 43. Cedric got 47 and Harry got 45.

And despite her initial panic, Elodie had done well, and there was nothing that could take her off of the high that she felt from that.