Chapter 1

Sophie's POV:

"Come on, Oralie! Just open it already!" Sophie says again, exasperatedly.

They had gone over all the passwords from stellarlune to legacy to Gisela and even all of Oralie's relatives, Kenric, and random stuff like 'time of extension', 'alicorn', 'winnowing gala' and even all sorts of food like 'mallow melt', 'ripple puffs', and 'custard bursts' but to no avail.

"Sophie, I think we should continue tomorrow. It is very late now" Oralie says, sighing and putting the cache back into a small, pink, shiny box.

Sophie realized that it was dark. The sun was almost setting. She scowled, wanting to keep working on the cache but nodded and got up, Oralie following suit.

Oralie slipped the box with the cache into her baby pink purse with sequins before holding up a crystal to the light. "Tomorrow 3pm, here?" she asked, smiling.

Sophie gave a curt nod as she watched Oralie get whisked away by the light.

She closed her eyes and tipped her head back when a chilly breeze swept past her. Sophie stood like that for a minute, just enjoying the feeling of wind gently blowing against her face, strands of her hair escaping the loose bun she had put it up in and dancing in the wind; before she opened her eyes and headed inside the house.

"Hello sweetheart" Edaline greeted, smiling at her when she walks in

"Hey mom" Sophie replies with a smile.

"Hey kiddo. Ripple puffs?" Grady asks from where he is sitting on the dining table, munching on a fresh batch of ripple puffs. Sophie slips into an empty chair near Grady and grabs a handful. After they all finished chewing on the juicy delicacy, Grady asks,

"So I hope you will be sleeping here tonight"
"Ok, but I'll just visit Keefe and come back, alright?" Sophie says. "Be back by 9" Edaline says, kissing her head and waving her goodbye.

"Bye mom, dad" Sophie says, grabbing her cloak and running to the leapmaster 500, Sandor in tow.

"Foxfire" she calls, and grabs Sandor's hand as the light whisks them away.

Keefe, if you can hear me, please wake up. I've been worried sick about you. please, please wake up. Sophie transmitted again, clutching Keefe's hand tighter as she sat at on the very uncomfortable chair near his bed.

She had been here from the last half an hour, and it was nearing 9. She sighed and closed her eyes as her transmission faded into his mind, as though it hadn't even been there. She'd been transmitting from such a long time, yet every time it just faded into the inky blackness of his void.

At first, she thought that Lady Gisela had given him sporidium, but she could see his dreams, just when she tried to communicate with him, her transmission would fade into his mind. The door creaking open snapped her back from her thoughts.

She looked at the door to see Elwin walking in. "Any change?" he asked, coming next to her and flashing a dozen colored orbs around Keefe's still body.

"Nope" Sophie sighed, letting go of his hand and leaning back in her chair. "When did Fitz leave?" she asked, glancing at Elwin.

When she leaped to the healing center, she hadn't seen Fitz. And truthfully, she was secretly glad he wasn't there. Even after agreeing to stay friends, the girlfriend/boyfriend thing and the breakup had really knocked their friendship to the edge a little. She just couldn't deal with that right now, so she was trying to keep as much distance from him as possible.

"He left just a few hours ago" he replied, rummaging through the shelves.

"Help me, will ya?" he asked, holding two elixirs in his hand. Sophie nodded, sitting straighter as he handed them to her and opened Keefe's mouth, tipping them in.

"Ok. thanks." he nodded, flashing orbs around him again as she slumped back in her chair.

"You should go home. Sleep tonight. You need to rest, Sophie" Elwin says softly after he was done examining Keefe.

"I will, just came to visit" she said and Elwin nodded.

"Please hail me the second anything is wrong or changed. Even if it has changed the slightest." And don't worry about waking me up in the middle of the night, it's not like I will be able to sleep anyway she added in her mind, as she got up and slung her satchel over her shoulder.

"Goodnight Sophie" he said, heading towards his lab. "'night Elwin" she said, walking out the door and taking Sandor's hand, holding up the crystal to the moonlight and leaping away to Havenfield.

Sophie sighed and closed her book.

She'd woken up again after barely an hour and didn't want to wake Edaline or Grady, so now it was around 2am in the morning and she was reading any book she could find on shadowflux, ethertine, magdism or stellarlune from Grady's library in his office.

Why?

Let me rewind a bit:

Ice blue eyes.

Gorgeous ice blue eyes with a mischievous glint in 'em.

Keefe's ice blue eyes.

She knew she was staring at them, but she couldn't tear her gaze away from them.

Then suddenly the eyes closed.

She waited for them to open again, but they didn't.

She waited...and waited...and waited...and waited some more...and more...and more...but...they never opened....never...

They never will, a sickeningly familiar voice whispered. Don't wait, they'll never open again Lady Gisela's voice whispered

And Sophie woke up in a cold sweat.

Just a nightmare, just a nightmare, just a nightmare she repeated over and over to herself.

But...something didn't feel right...what if...what if they never opened? a small voice at the back of her head told her.

They will! They have to! another voice screamed back

But what if they don't? the other argued

"They will! He has to!" she didn't realize she had said that out loud until Sandor poked his head through the door.

"All okay, Miss Foster?" he asked in his squeaky voice. She nodded, thankful she didn't wake Edaline or Grady.

She was pretty sure sleep wasn't an option now; so, making up her mind, she threw her covers back and hopped out of bed, making her way to Grady's office.

And that's where she was now

She'd gone through so many books that she lost count, and as she picked up another book, an idea popped into her mind.

Of course! She thought, how could I be so stupid!

She wasn't going to find answers in books, she'll have to ask her.

She looked at the sky outside, and her mood dropped just as fast as it perked up.

She restrained a groan as she realized she'll have to wait till morning to see and ask her.

But then....what was she going to do until then?

"Sandor?" she said quietly, knowing he would hear her

"Yes Miss Foster? Anything that you want?" he asked in his squeaky voice, popping his head inside

"Can you train me?" she hesitated.

He blinked twice "At so early in the morning? Aren't you supposed to be asleep now?"

She sighed "You and I both know I won't be able to fall asleep," she replied "so why not train? It's been awhile, anyways"

He looked as if he was mentally debating on what to do but finally he gave in "I suppose" he replied

Sophie smiled as she launched out of her bed and quickly changed into a simple black attire, tying her hair in a messy bun and heading outside

tell me watcha think bout it

tysm for reading!!

~ booknerd0110