04. first the fish

Bellamy was gone that morning when I finally awoke, and I assumed that he had gotten an early start to the day. I knew that he was on edge, preoccupied with everything going on. The way he tossed and turned all night was marker of that. 

I slowly pulled myself out of bed, paying close attention to the pain in my abdomen...it wasn't healing as quickly as I had hoped. 

It took me a while, but I finally made it out of our room and out into the courtyard where most of Arkadia was gathered, all of them busy working away. 

Although Clarke had hid the truth from all of them, it was working out in our favour for now. The threat of impending death caused everyone to work ten times harder. 

I glanced around, hoping to find something I could help with, even in my weakened state. 

As if on cue, a commotion arose by the front gates, all the guards rushing forward, guns raised as a voice sounded off over the intercom. "We need some medical help at the front gate! Looks like we've got some sick people"

Finally, something I could actually help with.

I followed after the crowds of people that were gathering, beginning to push my way through the front. 

"Miller." I muttered, stopping behind Nathan who was one of the many guards with his guns raised. 

He turned to look at me, giving me a small nod before moving and allowing me to step in front of him. What I saw when I emerged from the crowd made my heart drop. 

A group of Grounders stood in front of our gates, each of them holding onto another sick Grounder. Coughs tore through their lungs, as angry bubbled blisters covered their skin.

I felt my face fall as I stared back at them, not recognizing these symptoms at all. 

"Do not come any closer!" One of our guards ordered, assertion in his voice. 

"Please. They need Skaikru medicine." It was Nyko who gave this plea. He looked rather healthy, but the young girl in his arms told a different story.

"Just relax." I ordered, turning to look at our soldiers. "They're sick, you can drop the guns."

"Do as she says!" Bellamy's voice ordered as he, Raven and Clarke joined the group of us. "Lower the guns."

Reluctantly, all guns were lowered as Clarke started toward the Grounder group. "Nyko..." she whispered, her voice soft. 

"What if it's another Grounder attack like they did with Murphy?" Miller questioned, his voice low so only Bellamy and I could hear.

Bellamy and I shared a nervous glance, both of our minds flashing back to the time when sickness had ravaged through our camp in the early days down here. 

"What happened to them?" Clarke asked, bringing my attention back to the sick Grounders. 

Bellamy placed his hand on the small of my back, slowly leading the two of us toward where Clarke was. We made sure to stay far enough back so that if whatever they had was contagious, we wouldn't fall victim to it. 

"The sickness." Nyko answered, slowly lowering so he could lay the little girl onto the ground. "We lost more than 40 on the way."

I felt my heart clench at Nyko's words. Whatever this was, it was clearly deadly. 

As one of the female Grounders let out a series of sputtering coughs, all of our eyes were drawn to her. She had mostly kept her head down since they got here, but as she briefly looked up, recognition dawned on me. "Luna?" I questioned, confusion and shock present in my words.