» 78 «

"I smell..." Parkinson smelled the potion one more time, her brows furrowing slightly while she nervously looked around the table, her former confidence all forgotten about. "Dark chocolate, kind of- maybe it's white chocolate, instead? I'm not sure," She took another whiff before placing the vail on the table. "And, uh, a burnt out fireplace... and vanilla." She cleared her throat, avoiding everyone's eyes as well as she could.

That wasn't even close to anything Draco resembled.

I locked eyes with Wren, both of us an eyebrow cocked while an awkward silence laid over our heads. She shook her head with a shrug, showing me she didn't know what was going on, either.

"Are we sure this thing is working?" Blaise asked with a chuckle; a weak attempt at lightening the mood, which was enough to snap us out of the shock.

He grabbed the potion, smelled it a few times, and then leaned back with a sigh as he placed it in front of him. "Like, clear, cold air. The type you smell when it's starting to get cold out. And... treacle fudge? It's a weird combination, if I'm being honest. But I must like it," He shrugged, his eyes darting over to me only for a mere second.

Draco, who would be next in line, eyed the potion suspiciously

"Go on then, Draco," Blaise urged the blonde, pushing the vail in front of his friend with a smirk. "Don't pussy out now," He joked, an eyebrow raised as he challenged him.

He huffed amused, rolling his eyes before smelling the potion. His face was blank as he did so, unreadable. And then his eyes flickered back and forth between Blaise and the potion in his hand, brows slightly furrowed.

"I'm pretty sure I'm still smelling yours, Blaise," Draco said, scrunching up his nose as he smelled the potion one last time. "At least the fudge, and maybe lilies? I'm not very good with flowers though, don't quote me on that," He added before handing the bottle to me with a muttered "Whatever."

I gulped, not really feeling like exposing something as personal as this. Especially not if I could smell the green apples and the hint of mint from here. I didn't even have to take it up to my nose to do so.

"I don't think I'll smell anything," I lied, handing the potion to Wren in the hopes they'll just let it go. But of course they didn't.

Draco's eyebrows shot up amused, his lip curling up into a smirk; Wren laughing out loud once, but shutting up at the glare I sent her way.

"No way," Blaise said, amused, his head shaking vigorously. "We all did it. Just fucking smell it."

I sighed, but did what he said. Even though I really didn't have to put it underneath my nose to smell the strong scent; I did. Taking a few extra deep breaths to make sure they saw I was smelling it, too. I ignored the feeling coming up in my stomach as the familiar scent flooded my nose.

"Like I said, I don't smell anything," I lied once more, shrugging nonchalantly. "Maybe something is wrong with this one, I don't really see what you guys smelled adding up to anything, anyway."

That was a good excuse; because I honestly didn't think any of them made sense. Though, maybe Wren's would change my mind.

The four of them eyed me suspiciously, considering whether to let me off the hook or keep nagging me about it. But seeing as half of the groups were already done, waiting for us to finish up, they dropped it.

Wren cleared her throat, holding her nose up to the vail and smelling it cautiously.

"Strawberries, lavender, hot summer rain and-" She interrupted her sentence with another sniff, and then put the vail down. "You're right, the fudge does linger. Are we sure there isn't a piece flying around here somewhere?" She asked, her eyes scanning the general area for any signs of where the smell could come from.