SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
' I DID SOMETHING
WRONG ? '

Eddie sat by the table, her head supported by her hand as she fiddled with a mug. Her hair was dishevelled and fell over her face, her eyes emotionless and distant. She ran her tongue over her teeth as she moved to rub her face before tucking a piece of hair behind her ear and rising to her feet. She moved to stare out of the window with a sigh.

\_|_/\_|_/\_|_/

Eddie woke with a start, her eyes wide and attentive as they jumped over the room, gripping the bedsheets as she caught her breath. Her limbs dropped as her head lowered, staring at the plain coloured bed sheets.

Something was wrong. She could feel it.

It was like something had been stripped of her.

A memory?

Well, that's impossible.

The door opened, and her eyes flickered up as Hargreeves entered the room. She blinked blankly for a moment as he pulled out a chair and lowered into it, crossing his legs and clasping his hands.

They held eye contact for a moment as Eddie's head whirled. 'What happened?' Her voice was monotone and apathetic.

'What do you recall?' he replied calmly.

'Explosions. Chaos. Ben.'

'What happened to him?'

'I don't know.' she responded after a moment's pause. Her eyes moved expectantly to look at her father.

'Number Six is dead.' Eddie blinked a few times, nodding before looking out of a window. Hargreeves rose, moving to the door. He froze when Eddie spoke up, her voice caressed with a softness.

'He was in pain,' She said after a pause. 'He was tearing himself apart from the inside. I had a thought-' Her eyes moved back to her hands -'that if it didn't stop, I would have to do something. In a way, I'm glad that decision was taken out of my hands.'

Hargreeves' hands lingered on the handle as he stared at the door. He opened it and glanced at her. 'Yes, I suppose that makes it easier to come to terms with,' he replied slightly stiffly before closing the door behind him.

He looked to Grace, who stood outside the door. 'She must never know, Grace-' his eyes fluttered to Pogo -'What Number Three uncovered today, is a side of her that must never resurface. We must hope that she gains enough control of her emotions, so she does not explode.'

\_|_/\_|_/\_|_/

Eddie turned, looking around with mild shock as Diego stood near her. She blinked a few times before her eyes moved to Luther.

'Are you all right, Ed?' Diego asked, lifting a hand to place on her shoulder before she moved away.

'Yes.' She furrowed her eyebrows. 'Why wouldn't I be?'

'You were in your own world,' Luther replied slightly harshly. 'Mind telling us what happened with Elliot?'

Eddie tilted her head for a moment as she ran her tongue over her teeth. 'I killed him.' Her voice was apathetic on an almost unnerving scale.

'What?'

'He was dying slowly. They sliced the artery in his leg-'

'-So you killed him?'

'There was nothing I could do, Luther. Have you seen the body? His death would have been slow, agonizing. He was barely even alive when I arrived. So I did the best thing I could in that situation. I put a gun to his head. He wouldn't have even known.'

Luther turned away, rubbing his face. 'It's happening again,' he groaned out.

'Luther,' Diego warned.

'You never understand.' Eddie tilted her head. 'You always believe that people have a chance at living, that they can be saved. You need to see things without the rose-tinted glasses and see things as they really are. Elliot would have had seven hours at the most. Seven hours of bleeding out slowly. Your lack of knowledge deceives you, Luther-'

'-You have no right to make that decision!'

'We were raised to kill people, Luther, regardless of whether they did bad things to people. Elliot was a good man, I acknowledge that, why do you think I killed him? Because I enjoy murder? I can assure you I take no pleasure in it.' Luther turned to face her, and she began before he could speak. 'Are you going to call Allison because you can't get it into my head that I did something wrong?'

'What?' the two brothers asked, whipping around.

'What are you talking about, Eddie?' Diego questioned slowly.

'I remembered,' she replied simply.

'Remembered what?' he continued.

'I killed Ben.'