Chapter 12: The One and Only Lucy Leger

It didn't take long for me to remind Forrest that I would in fact carry out my threat from the other night if he did not let go of me.

"You're such a tease." He says but continues to walk with me.

We get shocking looks from the help as we walk by, passing small dorms with beds and small televisions. The kind I had at the foster home.

Once we approached the kitchen, I stopped.

"You are staying out here," I look over at him.

Forrest narrows his eyes "Do you have a reason?"

"Of course I do." I give him a bored look. "I have to ask questions, and the chefs won't be honest with me if you're there."

"What are you asking them about? A secret recipe?"

What was this, an interrogation? He was the one who wanted to come with me.

"I want to ask them how they make their food so good." I say in an overly sweet tone. "Also code for: None of your business." I say.

Prince Forrest glares down at me. "Who the hell ever gave you permission to talk to me like that?"

I roll my eyes. "I did. You're the one who wanted to be treated like a normal person. Stop whining and wait here," as I walk toward the swinging doors I glance over my shoulder and add, "And try not to touch anything."

I didn't look back to see his reaction and walked into the busy kitchen.

Chefs were running around, throwing various spices and chopped up foods into large bowls.

"Oi!" a chef said as he almost crashed into me. "What are you doing in here?" he glowers down at me.

"I'm looking for Lucy Leger," I say as the man narrows his eyes. "Why?"

"What's it to you?" I yell over the chaos.

He smirks. "I know you- You're Cordelia, the girl with no last name. Still here, huh?"

I raise an eyebrow. "Still going strong,"

He laughs at my comment. "She usually hangs out in the back. She likes to make the dough."

I smile at him. "Thanks."

I walk toward the back of the kitchen to find an older woman with long black hair and small strands of silver intertwined. She was folding dough over and over, a determined but light expression on her face.

Apparently her husband was the head of the guarding system here, and I frankly thought that was ridiculous. What happened to the guards being dedicated to their royalties? I guess she was an acceptation. After all, I'm pretty sure she came back to work after Hero got married to Everette.

I approach her slowly, giving her enough time to glance up from whatever she was doing.

Once I stood on the other side of the table she was working at, Lucy Leger looks up at me.

"Can I help you?" she asks, furrowing her brow.

"Yeah, um, I'm-"

"I know who you are." She says with a soft smile. "But that doesn't answer my question."

"I just need to ask you a few questions." I say honestly. "If you're willing."

Lucy Leger smiles. "Of course I am- only if you work and talk with me. I have a lot to get done, there are many young girls to feed in this palace."

I nod and rinse my hands before she pulls out another clump of dough and plops it in front of me. "I'm assuming you've done this before?" she says more like a fact, rather than a question.