7. Curiosity

-Jack-

-Jack-

Sleeping indoors was... odd. I was used to hearing my pack around me in the cold, windy factory, or the sounds of nature whenever I slept outside. It was so quiet and warm in the little cabin. So warm, in fact, that I had to open the window for a bit in the middle of the night.

I spent the entire weekend indoors. I only stepped outside to use the outhouse. I didn't even get bored, even though I had absolutely nothing to do. I spent a lot of time sitting on the floor in the corner of my living room, thinking...

Oliver's treatment had kept the infestation at bay, so I was free to have my own thoughts. I went through a lot of memories, trying to find some kind of closure. I was unable to look into the future just yet, so all I had was my past. I couldn't change anything, no matter how hard I wished I could, and in the end, I didn't even get my closure. At least Henry was gone, and my father would get what he deserved, but I had nothing to do with either of those.

So... How to move on?

On Monday morning, the tiny cabin started to feel a little too small. I had slept surprisingly well, so I had a little more energy than normally. After I ate breakfast, watching out the window the entire time, I started feeling a little encouraged. Less scared.

Maybe if I stepped outside for a moment? Just to take a look at my yard, even though there wasn't much to see since everything was covered in snow. A small walk around the place. Just for a moment...

It took me an hour to finally find the courage to actually step outside. When I closed the door and put the key into my pocket, I turned into a wolf. The wolf spirit in me was stronger, after all. I took my time to scout my yard, wondering how it would look like in the spring when the snow would be gone. I cleared out a bunch of dried branches that had fallen from the trees while I was at it, piling them up next to the front door so I could use them in my fireplace.

Once I was done, I sat on the porch for a moment, listening in to the sounds of the town, sniffing the air to get familiarized with the scents. It was peaceful.

I had to admit, I was glad Rayleigh had forced me with him. The idea of returning to my little cave nearly broke me. I had already grown way too attached to my home...

Home...

I couldn't even remember my last home. My real home. Back when Mom was still alive, and my father hadn't gotten crazed by his hate and anger.

I forced those thoughts out of my head. Nothing good came out of them. I kind of understood my father for going crazy, because those same feelings, anger and hate, were trying to suck me in as well. We lost so much when the rogues attacked. We lost everything. I would've shared the fate with my father, if...

I sighed. Arch... Without even knowing it, he had pulled me out of that path.

The moment he slipped into my thoughts, I felt worse. The images Henry had planted of him in my head tried to emerge, and I shivered. I feared that if I thought about him, the maggots would rise again. I didn't want to get swallowed by the infestation again, not now that I was feeling somewhat normal. Whatever was normal for me.