Chapter 14

My story is growing so much faster than I expected like 2k more in just a few days?? WHAT!! So crazy, thank you all so much for reading, it truly means the world!!🥺❤️

Cassie opened her eyes and found herself in a unfamiliar bed. She glanced around wondering how she had got there.

As she stood up, Cassie heard some hushed voices speaking outside the door. Curiosity got the best of her in that moment as she leaned her ear against the door to listen.

"You can't be serious, Tonks! She can't stay here, Sirius is heartbroken over her leaving!"

Cassie recognized Remus' voice whisper-yelling to her cousin. Realizing she was in Tonks' apartment, she had a flashback of the previous night.

Cassie lazily knocked on her sister's door, praying she was home.

"Please let me in," she cried.

Not hearing an answer, she leaned against the door in a sobbing mess. All she could do was cry and cry while begging for someone to answer.

After a few minutes, the door was quickly pulled open causing Cassie to fall into the room. She looked up to see Tonks and Remus pointing their wands toward her, but her cousin quickly put it away after seeing the state she was in.

"I couldn't take it anymore," she wailed into Tonks' arms, "he never cared for me. I just wanted a father but he wanted Harry."

Remus and Tonks stayed silent in shock glancing at her trunks while listening to her rant.

"I hope he's happy, he finally got what he wanted," Cassie sobbed as her lip quivered.

At some point, Cassie realized she must've fallen asleep and they moved her into this room.

"Are you kidding right now, Remus? You saw what happened at dinner! That wasn't the first time something like this has happened. Sirius did this to himself!" she heard Tonks whisper.

Remus sighed, "I know, I know, you're right. I just feel bad for him. I mean, I just spent the whole morning with him as he sobbed. This is all bringing back terrible memories for him. I wish he realized what he was doing before it was too late."

Remus knew Cassie was doing what was best for her, but it didn't make him feel any less bad for his best friend. All of this has brought them back to 1975 when Sirius ran away from his parents. He knew how much his parents had to hurt him to make Sirius want to leave, so knowing he hurt Cassie so badly that she wanted to leave as well simply broke him.

"I get what you mean," she mumbled.

Noticing that the conversation was finished, Cassie slowly opened the door causing the two people to turn their heads.

"If I'm going to be too much to handle I could leave..." Cassie trailed off awkwardly.

Tonks quickly pulls her into a tight hug.

"Don't you say that," she says into her hair, "you're like my sister, you could never be too much to handle."

"I know... but I don't want to disrupt anything," she whispers to Tonks while making a subtle glance toward Remus.

Tonks rolls her eyes, "Don't worry about Remus, if he can't handle the Tonks' sisters then he clearly isn't who I thought he was."

Cassie's eyes widened slightly, "Tonks' sisters?"

"You'll always be a Black, but to Mom, Dad, and I, you're just another Tonks," she explained while smiling.

This made the water works begin again with Cassie. She couldn't help it, no matter how hard she tried, last night truly did happen. Sirius hasn't ever been a father to her, and now, he'll never even get the chance to try.

"I'm s-sorry," Cassie said through tears.

Tonks was about to comfort the girl, but Remus beat her to it by kneeling in front of Cassie.

"I've known Sirius since I was 11-years-old," he began, "the part of me that is his best friend makes me want to fix all of this by bringing you back, but I know that's not in your best interest. He's a troubled man with a troubled life and I know that's not an excuse for how he has neglected you, but that's partially the reason.

Anyways, whatever you want to do, we'll support you because it's your choice. Sirius ran away as well and it was the best decision he made. You made your decision, only time will tell if it was the right choice, but we'll be here for you every step of the way."

In that moment, Tonks watched Remus with a look of adoration. She knew right then and there as he comforted Cassie that she was in love with this man. As much as he goes on about being a monster, this was the man Remus truly was. A comforting, caring human being.

——-

Meanwhile at Grimmauld, Sirius was wallowing in sadness. For a while after Cassie left, all he could do was stare at the door she ran out of.

How is it that he failed so miserably at being a parent that it caused his daughter to do exactly what he did all those years ago? It didn't make sense to Sirius. It was difficult to imagine him being anything like his parents, but she wouldn't have left if he wasn't like them.

For a while after Cassie left, Remus stayed to comfort his friend. Sirius sobbed and sobbed uncontrollably wondering why he couldn't have just been a good dad. While in Hogwarts, all he ever said was how if he had children, he'd be the best dad and be nothing like his parents, yet here he was, not much better than them.

Eventually Remus had to leave to check on Cassie, making Sirius perk up. He begged his friend to take him to her, but to no avail. Remus wouldn't budge despite wanting to help him. He knew Cassie wouldn't want anything to do with Sirius right now. If she ever did want to see him again, it would have to be on her own terms.

All of this lead Sirius to now standing in the doorway of his brother's room where Cassie stayed. Her lingering presence remained in the room causing him to tear up.

Cassie's distinct smell of gingerbread, the tear-stained pillows, the empty cigarette packs scattered on the floor, it was as if she was still here.

He walked over to an empty cigarette pack sitting on the windowsill, picking it up sadly. They really were as similar as everyone said, Cassie even picked up his bad habit from years ago. What no one liked to talk about though, was that despite them being incredibly alike, she also resembled her mother in many ways which was terrifying to Sirius.

Shuddering, he noticed a box sitting at the foot of the bed. Sirius recognized the box to be Regulus', so he couldn't help but wonder what Cassie was doing with it.

When he opened the box, Sirius was shocked to find it completely empty besides one lone piece of scrap that must've been left behind. He turned it over to find it wasn't just a piece of scrap, it was a picture of him and Cassie's mother. Taken aback, he realized this box must've been filled with things of Regulus' that Cassie now had. He could only imagine the worst of what Regulus could have had.

Maybe he should have told the truth to Cassie about her mother. Maybe he should have warned her about who she really is. He would lose Cassie a million times over again if it means she never follows her mother's footsteps. All he could do was hope that whatever was in that box, doesn't lead her to doing just that.

Heartbroken, Sirius laid back in the bed hoping his daughter wasn't gone forever. He turned over on his side, not missing all of the tear stains on the pillows.

How many times did Cassie cry herself to sleep while he did nothing to comfort her? It broke his heart thinking back to all the times he had ignored or neglected his daughter. Cassie was right, he really did turn into the thing he feared most - his parents.

All Sirius could think over and over again as he drifted off to sleep was 'what have I done?'

Cassie was gone and there was nothing Sirius could do about it.

Sorry for making y'all wait a couple days for an update! I've been in Disney so I couldn't update!

Just a little filler chapter so not too exciting. I think now I'll move the summer along pretty quickly since Cassie isn't at Grimmauld anymore so it would be pretty repetitive if I kept at this pace.

Hope you enjoyed, make sure to vote and comment! 🌈