Chapter 16: This Unbelievable Evening

Chapter 16:

This Unbelievable Evening

I gasped at what he just said. He was also smiling for the first time… well the first time I’ve even seen him smile. I succeeded in making him happy, something to check off my ‘To-Do’ list.  

   “I’m… A Vampire Hunter?” I asked really starting to get confused. My head was spinning. But I like Vampires… don’t I? I like Shiki…

   “Yes, well that’s your family past anyway. It’s said the last man to have this power was arrested, if you’re related to him then this would make a lot of sense.” It was making a lot of sense actually. My father was arrested ages ago when I was little for assault and woman abuse. Apparently he used to it me but I seriously don’t remember.

   “My father was arrested…” I mumbled aloud. Zero looked at me blankly.

   “He might have your ability then. Not all Vampire Hunters get this ability, only a handful. You’re very lucky. Most Vampires would bow to you if they knew what powers you possess.” I think I was gonna throw up actually. Yippee! I’m special! I’ve got powers… crap, but I’m in love with a Vampire?! I can’t be a Vampire Hunter at the same time!

   I sighed, “So… this ability only works on Vampires does it?” I asked wondering. I suddenly began to shake. My mind was beginning to play tricks on me and my stomach started to turn. I looked Zero up and down and I wanted to just run away and hide. After tonight I didn’t want to know a thing about Vampires for a while but, what I just thought was about to make me crawl into the fountain and stay there all night long; I was scared, so very scared now.

   “Yes, only Vampires. It won’t hurt any humans. That’s why Mr Yagari didn’t go flying backward on contact.” I swallowed hard.

   “That means…” I murmured slowly. Zero looked at me in suspicion. “You’re a Vampire?” I asked him shaking.

   Zero stared at me. He must’ve realized I saw him get injured in the collision of my power being released. He just sat there staring at me for a moment. “Yes… But I don’t like hearing about it. I was turned into a Vampire by a Pure Blood which killed my family and turned my twin brother against me. I’ve hated Vampires ever since.” He mumbled angrily as he looked at his feet.

   “But you’re one of them.” I said.

   “No I’m not and I’ll never be like them in any way! They’re disgusting creatures who sicken me. They should all die.” He said standing up all depressed again.

   “I’m very sorry… I didn’t know Zero. But…” I started. He just stood there and I slowly wrapped my arms around him. He flinched but didn’t move, he just wondered what I was doing. “I’ll always be here for you, for anything you want. You just come out and say it to me OK?” I let go of him and he turned around.

   I smiled slightly but all he did was nod. “You should go back to your dorm; I’ll finish up out here.” He suggested, I agreed and walked back towards the day class dorms. “Oh and Yuna,” He said. I span to meet his gaze, “Thank you, you remind me so much of Yuuki sometimes.” I grinned and continued my journey to the dorm rooms.

I began to think about Zero as I was still travelling to the dorms… all this time he was a Vampire and I had no idea. No wonder why he hates the night class so much, they turned him into one like them and not to mention he was born into a family of Vampire Hunters… and so was I apparently but I still am a bit unknown and solemn about the entire thing. I thought I was blessed or something, not sworn to kill fiends who I find lovely and friendly—at times. I really don’t think it’s fair how we both didn’t get a choice at life…