Chapter 7: The Project

My arms are open
But then I get close and I'll push you out
Pull you back like an ocean
Wanna be all in
But I'm bad with emotion
Maybe 'cause my heart
Was made to be broken
And I think I'd rather have loved 'til I lost
Than never have loved at all
Broken - OTR and Au/Ra

Lola's Pov

I arrive at school and park my bike, thankfully there's not many people in the car park. Normally I just walk to school since it's not that far so people aren't used to seeing anything of mine. I take off my helmet and let my hair fall effortlessly down across my shoulders. I get off and put on my fake glasses before walking into the building.

Since I still had 20 minutes before class started I went to the music room. I go straight to the guitar, stood neatly on stand in the corner of the room. I allow my instincts to guide me and I play some notes that soon start to fit together in the form of a song.

My pease is quickly ended when some clapping is heard from the doorway, instantly my fingers fall over each other, creating a mess of half notes that were ended before they even began. I turn to face the person that decided to disturb me.

"That was great." Carter, the most popular guy in school, speaks. I shoot him a face smile and pick up my bag, walking to my locker to get the books I needed to math. "Where are you going?" I hear Carter yell from behind me. I respond my simply pointing to the lockers.
"Let me come with you." He says, I tilt my head, silently asking why he'd want to be seen with the mute freak. "I'm going that way anyway." He adds, I just shrug and start walking at a slower pace for him to walk with me.
"What do you have first?" He questions, I give him a look that says 'are you stupid?' and a look of realisation crosses his face. He nods to himself and we continue walking in silence.

Soon enough we are at my locker and I get my books out, completely forgetting about the boy next to me.

"Keep your notebook out." Carter requests. I nod and take out my notepad and pen.

Maths I write in reply to his earlier question. A look of disappointment crosses his face but before he can reply in anyway I hear angry footstep come from behind me. A look of fear crosses Carter's face and I quickly turn around to see who is approaching. Seeing my brother and the rest of his crew I roll my eyes and turn back around. I take my bag out of the locker and slam it shut for effect.

Their storming footsteps come closer until finally they stop, I feel their anger radiating from behind me but I choose to ignore it, still leaving my notebook out for the argument that's bound to happen between me and my brother I turn around, waiting for the storm.

"Who are you?" Ace growls, to my suprise. I thought Daniel would be the one to start the interrogation.

"Carter Mr Black." Carter practically bows to Ace.

Leave him alone. I write and show it to the people in front of me. I already said I don't want your help. I write more, my handwriting sloppy from not having a solid surface to write on.

"I know what you said but that doesn't mean I'm... We are going to let you." Ace growls. I'm taken by suprise at his words.

Your too late. I state, sighing at the group. Guilt fills their eyes. I can see Daniel is about to reply but I just shake my head and walk to class. Although it will only be a little break it would be better then nothing.

I slide into my seat at the back of the class and bring my notebook out, I draw on one of the empty pages. My hand glides effortlessly across the page to make marks along the page. Shading in the right places to make the picture look more real.

"Cool drawing

"Cool drawing." April says from behind me. I snap my head around to look at her, thankful to see only her.

Thanks for letting me borrow your clothes last night. I write and she smiles at me.

"No worries. Your not really a fan of the boys are you?" She questions and I shake my head.

What gave it away? I joke, making a smile dance across April's face.

"Give them a change." April says, becoming serious again. I just sigh and look away. "Look they aren't the best men in the world and they won't always be able to protect you. But they'll try. Plus nobody would mess with you being Danny's sister and Ace's future wife." my head snaps towards April as she says the words 'future wife' I give her a confused look.
"Don't play dumb something is clearly going to happen between you two." April chuckes and I just become more confused. Before she can elaborate the rest of the class comes in, the missing members of the gang along with them. Shortly after the teacher follow.

I zone out for most of the class until I hear the dreaded words.
"For your next project I want you to work in partners. Before you get excited I am picking the partners." With that the class groans whereas I become alert. Knowing I'll have to work with someone makes life so much harder. The teacher sprouts names of pairs out his mouth. When he reaches my name my heart starts to beat faster.
"Lola White and Ace Black." He calls and I just roll my eyes.
"You have three months to complete the project now sit with your partners and come up with ideas." He says and I sigh and move closer to Ace.

"Hey Lola." Ace says awkwardly, making me roll my eyes. This is going to be a long three months.