A Complex Verbal Threat

Malfoy kept his distance from Hermione the next day, his posture stiff and his face unreadable, and Hermione did the same. It was the only proper course, and she had the flow chart to prove it. Ginny threw another party Friday night in the Gryffindor common room, inviting Eighth Year Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs, but not Slytherins, not even Blaise. Hermione spent most of the evening on the sofa with Ron, drinking as little as possible and trying not to think back to the rich taste of sirenscotch and a long, pale finger gently tugging a curl: "Do I frighten you that much?"

On Saturday, she and Ron met Harry in Hogsmeade and the trio spent the day and night getting thrown out of various cafes and pubs. They ended up at the Hog's Head again, where Hermione began covertly turning Harry's eyebrows different colors and pretending to see nothing when Ron drunkenly pointed it out. The two men finally caught on and started chasing her around the pub, tripping over the empty bottles she rolled in their way, until Harry finally bound Hermione to a chair with an incarcerous spell and began whispering in her ear all the ways she was going to fail her NEWTs. Her screams finally got them expelled from the Hog's Head for "frightening the clientele."

Hermione was so distracted she'd forgotten that the second Monday in October was the introduction to the fabulous Winkweed plant in double Herbology after weeks of observation and essay writing. Her pulse sped up when she entered the small greenhouse and saw a tarp-covered object in the center of each table. Professor Sprout was bobbing on her heels, her face flushed with excitement.

"All right, class," she said. "You are now ready to meet the star of the show. First, a quick review—can anyone tell me about the specimens we're about to study?" Hermione, Astoria and Neville raised their hands in the same instant. "Miss Greengrass?"

"These sprouts have yet to bloom," Astoria said with icy precision. "The stamen is fully developed, however, producing poisonous pollen that can be released in clouds if the plant feels threatened. The seeds, however, are immature, and while they can be shot out at high velocities, they have not yet developed their magical attacks."

"Excellent, ten points to Slytherin," Sprout said. "It is very important that once the Winkweeds are uncovered that no one startles or upsets them. They are likely sleeping now, and you all want to keep them that way. No noise-muffling spells allowed. This is an observational lesson only; you will make a drawing of your particular plant, noting any distinctive features, and label them as you did at the start of this lesson. We will save more dangerous activities, like watering the plants or setting them in direct sunlight, for next week."

The students nodded agreement, eyeing their covered plants nervously.

"Now," Sprout said. "Who can tell us the steps to take if a plant is awakened? And keep in mind, if one plant is awakened, it will likely wake up the others, so quick action is vital."

Again Hermione, Astoria and Neville raised their hands at once, and Sprout nodded at Hermione.

"The first step is to loom threateningly over the plant, as close as possible," Hermione said. "The Winkweed might think you are a larger plant and curl up, especially since it is still a seedling. If the plant doesn't retreat, the next step is to point your wand at it while delivering a complex verbal threat."

"Why a complex threat?" Sprout asked.

"The Winkweed considers itself a powerful being. A complex threat positions you as a superior being capable of imaginative destruction."

"Yes, ten points to Gryffindor. Mr. Malfoy, what other quality is necessary for the threat to work?"

"It has to be heartfelt," Malfoy said, sounding bored. "The student has to appear ready and willing to carry out whatever he or she says, no matter how dangerous."